Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP trunk configuration in BCM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bashboosh

MIS
Mar 2, 2008
SA
Hi,
To configure IP Trunk in BCM systems for site to site ip calling, Anybody can provide the exact steps' headlines in a nutshell? I have couple of BCM systems and having the keycode of VoIP GW Trunk. By Following the Nortel IP Telephoney documentation, i lost somewhere. So far, I have done the following:
- Checking the Keycode(ok)
- Checking the published IP Address (Ok)
- Configure Media Gateway (ok)
- Configure H323 Settings (Here I dont know what a gatekeeper is, i dont use any other systesm or middleware appliances except the both end BCMs, do i need to configure Gatekeeper digit?)
- Do i need to configure SIP settings?
- Configure H323 Media parameters (ok)
- Adding the remote gateway. (What does mean by destination digits here? I have 3 digit DNs in my branch offices. ie. 101, 102, etc. What should i add in the destination digit for that remote gateway here?)

I have reached here. Please mention the rest of the steps to accomplish my task.

I appreciate any helpful comment.

Regards

I believe that since you have VoIP GW trunk you will need to configure the H323 settings only. Since you are not using an NRS server off a CS1000 to route the calls you do not need to enter gatekeeper info. Set your mode to Direct.

The destination digits are which numbers you are trying to reach on the remote system. So if your DNs are in the 10X range you enter those digits. If there are all in the 10X range you don't ahve to enter all of them individually, jus enter 10.

The media parameters is where you setup which codec you want to use. G711 ulaw will give you the best call quality, but uses more bandwidth. G729 compresses the packet so it decreases voice quality slightly. Take out all other codecs except these two and make sure the payload size is at least 30ms. The BCM will not work on 20ms for some reason.

If the extension numbers at two different sites conflict you will want to renumber one of the sites.

The simple configuration is to have all the extension numbers at different sites start with a different digit.
Eg. Headoffice starts with 2. Branch 1 starts with 8, Branch 2 starts with 7, etc.

You have to watch out for conflicts though. I recently found out it's a pain to have a conflict between these destination digits and the first digits of a DID number.

So a good template to use may be to use 4 digit extensions.
If your main block of DID numbers are consecutive then try to make that the extension range for that site.

Eg. I have a block of DID numbers from xxx-82xx. So I set that site so that the extension numbers match the last 4 digits of the DID numbers.

Remote sites have extensions that start with 7, 5, or 3.

If the extension numbers of the remote sites conflict then it's more complicated to setup. Depending on how painful it would be to renumber the extensions so they don't conflict will tell you what path to take. I haven't personally gone down the path of having conflicting extensions and we renumbered the remote sites from the default. It also allows us to have the centralized voicemail.

Thanks AtasComan and QueBall. The information both of you provided were valuable.

So, As per my post, after configuring the remote gateway, What is next? How do I make the call? Will you please describe a bit about adding Voip lines to separate line pool and routing and finally how to make the call?

Queball, is there any option to change the DN length to 4 digits (currently i am using 3 digits)without losing the programming?

I appreciate your help

I think i have to create a new route and configure line pool to finalize my configuration. If I am wrong, please correct me.

There are some issues while configuring voip lines and routing:
1. Under Active voip lines i can see 3 lines. (i have 3 licenses) When i Click on line and under parameters, i cannot see the BlocA to assign the line to BlocA. why
2. Under linepools i can see the BlocA etc..
3. I have created a new route (route 1) and here i cannot find the BlocA poolname under 'use pool' option.
What did I miss? am I in right direction? Your commnet is appreciated

I wish somebody could help me on the above issue. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards

You click on Line Type on one of the VOIP lines in active Voip lines to change the type or pool.Also in the remotegateway you enter the Dest. Digit it could be the lead digit of the other sides DN or target line. As for the route if you do not see it in the pull down make sure under active VOIP lines it is assigned to the pool you want or it wount show up in the route page (USE POOL pull down).

As I stated above,
"1. Under Active voip lines i can see 3 lines. (i have 3 licenses) When i Click on line and under parameters, i cannot see the BlocA to assign the line to BlocA.

Have you rebooted since you entered the kecode or just try a reboot.

Thanks for your reply
I rebooted (switch off and on) the BCM400 and no luck. Under the 'Active Voip lines' the line type only shows the following items: (There is no BlocA. I somewhere read that, for voip lines it should be BlocA type)
-Public
-DN.*
-Pool A~O

If i use the pool C, i can set it. but under 'Dialing Plans>Line pools' i cannot set the access code. When i set any number here, i get error "Error happened, error detail: 5 is not a valid access code'

Any guess where can be the problem?

Regards

In the BCM400 you cannot use blocA or blocB line pool as those are reserved for DTM's. Assign a line pool, none the less. Then assign a route that points to the line pool. Setup you Priavte Network dialing plan (how many digits and CDP/UDP). Use CDP if you are not going to use site codes and UDP if you are (IE: user dials x324 and the system routes 324 over the VoIP trunks to extension 324. UDP is where a users dials a site code, lets say 701 plus the extension 324). Thats the difference. If your using extension dialing mark the call type as private in the route. Now setup your destination code to the other site/s. Make sure that you setup the remote site properties under IP Trunks. You don not have to setup any of the SIP parameters.

I use Pool o to make it easy. I can send you a couple screen prints of a working config on a BCM400 rls 4.0 if you email me. bmiles@servicecommunications.com :)

Bryan J Miles
Systems Engineer
Service Communications, Inc.

Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the response, i already sent you the mail requesting the screenshots. Thanks for the information that i cannot use BlocA for Voips. I was behind this all the way. At the end, i did try to assign an access code for the linepool which i will use for Voip, but failed. It gives the error as i stated above ""Error happened, error detail: 5 is not a valid access code' (I even tried all the digits but no success)

I will be waiting for your screenshots.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back