Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP switch 3300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul

MIS
Feb 15, 1999
MX
I can´t access to a switch 3300 over an IP network using telnet, the manual have the IP defoult number but I can´t find it over the network. How can I do to see and set up the switch?<br>
Thank you.

I don't think you can do this. You will have to use a null modem cable and a laptop to connect to the switch the first time to put in an IP address. After you put in the address you can use any web browser to set up the switch.

I'm having the same problem. And I did try to use the null modem cable but I ran into a problem there. The drivers for the slip had to be downloaded from msn and they were not there. It would seem to me if 3-com is going to supply a program to access the port for setup it should be complete or just use a vt-100 interface to get thing up and running. Let me know if you find a cure.<br>

I don't understand what you mean Mike. All I did was use a null modem cable and hyper terminal in Windows 95. Worked like a snap. I was very pleased. After I put in IP address, subnet and default gateway, I logged into the switch with a browser and finished setting it up. Took me about 2 minutes.

i too am also having problems with the software for 3com i tried to connect using a null modem cable '95 laptop but everytime i try and install the software i keep comming up with an error that de-installs the whole program . Ive tried it now on two different computers and still the same problem is there somwhere on the 3com site where i can download the software maybe there is a fault on the cd that came with the switch?<br>
deadpan

The 3300 can be configured four different ways:<br>
<br>
1. Through the serial port<br>
2. Through a telnet session<br>
3. Through a web browser (java complaint)<br>
4. Using the Transcend software that came with the switch (CD-Rom)<br>
<br>
I would recommend configuring first the IP adress of the switch using the serial port and terminal emulation, and then use Transcend or a web browser to configure all other parameters<br>
<br>
1.- (a) Direct connection. For the serial port, you need to use a

RTurske is right. All I have ever had to do was connect a PC or laptop (Win95 or NT) to the console port with a null modem cable and run hyterterminal at the correct baud rate and 8,N,1 settings, set the ip address and mask, and it's a done deal.&nbsp;&nbsp;Once the ip address is successfully assigned to the switch you can access it via telnet, web browser, or Transcend.

3Com should be ROYALLY spanked for not including the cable. It's a &quot;f/f&quot; 9-pin to 9-pin null modem cable--who has those lying around???

You can't manage the hub until you connect with the cable.

Also had some nefarious &quot;auto-connect&quot; problems, which we ironed out with manual duplex settings.

Works alright, now, though.

Now why would 3Com send out a null modem cable with all their switches? They cost 5 bucks at any local PC shop. You pay enough for this type of equipment why make it more?

I have had the same problem with the auto-sensing 10/100 ports on these switches. Only with Compaq equipment though. The drivers that I was having problems with finally got updated about a year ago and they auto-sense fine now. You should make sure you are using the latest and greatest drivers for your NIC. :)

couple of options. arp map. host file.

verify subnet(/26) and make TCP the default if in mswin.

what was the default IP for your 3Com?

i can't believe i just replied to a thread from feb of 99

LOL!!! dont feel bad.. I've done it myself ;-)

MikeS &quot;Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock&quot; Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back