Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Softphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxrookie

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
US
Is there a way to disable the control the avaya telephone via the server option in the pbx (CM2 or CM3)?

I want to make sure that there is no way for an individual to remotely take a phone off hook.

When you log into Avaya IP Softphone from remote, the IP Phone takes control. It shuts down the phone on the desktop. There is no way for the user to physically take a phone off hook from remote, but it would disable access on the remote phone.

Toni-IP Phone has a tandem feature that allows it to take control of a desktop phone, this is neither Telecomuter nor RoadWarrior mode. It's so you can use IP softphone at the same desk as your physical phone. I use it daily, it is quite handy.

I'm not clear on exactly what your concern is. For a user to use IP Softphone, they must have an extension with a valid security code. They can't just access any extension on the switch unless it has security code and the user knows it, and it's configured for IP Softphone use. Do you simply not want them using the Control Phone mode at all?

That is correct. I want to make sure that the users aren't able to control a phone via the softphone. This will reduce the possibility of users selecting the improper option. I need to make things as simple as possible for the end user - the fewer options possible, the better. Most of the users using the applicaiton will be remote, not next to their phone.

I agree, it is very convenient to dial a number on a web page or from the contact list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back