Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP SoftPhone VOIP working but only to LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ega218

MIS
Aug 21, 2004
US
Hello,

I have setup the IP SoftPhone VOIP. I can call any extension in my office. However, when I attempt to make a call that is not an extension by dialing "9" first, as usual I get a fast busy signal. I can call a local extension and recieve a call with no problem.

I looked at my setup and did not find any outside restrictions. Any suggestions would help.

Thank you.

Try checking out the dialing properties on the computer under Control Panel. Make sure that you have the correct area code according to where the switch is located and check to see if you have 9 or 1 entered in there for outgoing calls. If it is built in the dialing properties then you don't have to dial 9 to get an outside line, it will put it in there automatically.

Thank you CalebNLG for you suggestions. However, I haved checked the settings and are still getting a fast busy signal when dialing an outside line. I have not problem connecting to a regular extension. I think I need to create a special shortcode for making outside VOIP calls.

What is strange is that I have connected an 6600 IP Phone successfully and am able to make outside phone calls with no problem. However, from my IPPone software I can not.

Strange. I will keep searching.

Let us know, ega, this is a weird one. I have not run into this problem before.

Do you have Least Cost Routing program? I've gotten fast busy signals when trying to configure least cost routing with the softphones before. I just took off least cost routing instead of fixing because of time and now it works.

I wonder if we'll ever be able to use LCR properly with ; and secondarydialtone?? Seems kinda silly to me to lock all of North America (itty-bitty insignificant market that we are) out of using LCR.

And "use system shortcodes instead" just does not cut the mustard - how are we supposed to setup automatic alternate routes? Ie prefer 1 linegroup, but switch to a second if the first is busy or oos...

Peter

Just curious :
What's the problem with SecondaryDialtone or LCR in North America?
I'm in Europe and i have no problem using these options.

I do not have any LCR enabled. Therefore, this is not the problem. Can anyone point me to a reference of an example of a VOIP setup for a iPro setup. So I can compare to what I have. Do I need to setup a seperate SC to access a secondary line?

No you do not need seperate short codes for an IPSoftphone

are you sure this isnt something simple such ase the user being set to Outgoing call bar?

also run call status & check that the IP phone is logged on to the correct extn & isnt working as NoUser

intrigant: you cannot use LCR if you are using either secondary dialtone (which all of North America does) or if you have PRI trunks in North America (because we must use the ; to denote enbloc dialing).

The end result is nobody in North America can use LCR.

BTW I realise that technically you CAN use LCR even if you are using secondarydialtone, and sometimes it works, but I have had major problems doing so - and of course there is no support for it. You are rolling the dice attempting it.

Peter

Morrack: i do not get the point. North America is a huge market for Avaya and they cannot solve the problem?
Has anyone really tried to get a solution?
My advise:
Throw it under the 3.0 field trial and mail your problem to
newprodintro@avaya.com and it will be fixed.
It is not in the bug list of 3.0.

I do not get the point either, intrigant. It doesn't feel like a "can't fix it" so much as a "don't have time to bother" kind of issue. As you said bizarre given the size of the market over here in the colonies.

I'm not an R3 beta tester (was unwilling to put beta software at a real customer site given the stability of GA software lately) so I don't think they will be interested in hearing from me at that email address?

Peter

Morrack, i have some news for you.
Today i setup a IPO 3.0 with PRI trunks were en block dialling must be used, you know with the ;.
I set up the system as you do in North America and i could do all the things you cannot do on 2.1.
So : dial en bloc over PRI, use User restrictions and LCR without any problem.
I did have one problem ( it's an Avaya after all! ) with DT phones were the redail does not work, my 4620IP and 4602IP do work.
I cannot test the DS stations because i do not have those in my lab.

Intteresting Redail does work on my DT's , but I find that sometimes there is a delay befor some of the soft keys operate
No doubt this will be fixed with the next version of BIN files.

Still this should be treated as good news for Morrack, after all if there were no problems withthe beta software it wouldnt be beta

Well, not just me... as I said it's a small market over here, but I'm not the ONLY one that will be happy about this news. :)

Of course I *am* happy to hear this. Thanks for sharing ingrigant.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back