Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Softphone User Cannot Hear Dialtone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcdan1523

Technical User
Feb 14, 2003
US
I have a new IP softphone user which cannot hear dialtone through the headset or laptop speakers.
We can hear the DTMF tones and can answer incoming calls, but we are unable to be heard on calls that we initiate.
We un-installed and re-installed the softphone application twice with the same result. This is a brand new Dell laptop with windows xp sp2 and we are using IP softphone version 4. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

All voice and dialtone use the udp ports found on the ip-network-region associated with the ip station. Make sure the built in firewall in XP or corporate is not blocking these.

In the future everything will work...

If in Road Warrior mode check which Bandwidth Setting they are using. At one point on an S8700 using only the G.711 codec set througout various network regions we were having the same issue. I was logging in from home via VPN and choosing Cable / DSL as the Bandwidth. Behind the scenes Cable / DSL means G.729. There was a Event created. Check you Events log for a Codec mismatch. Choose LAN for a Bandwidth setting if you want G711.

I actually have several regions configured with different codec's in the different region's. I have uninstalled and re-installed the software, but still get the same result. I am certain it is a PC issue since I have a lot of users with the Softphone's. They all use different CLAN card's depending on the location and speed of the broadband connection. I checked and do not see a firewall running on the network connection.
That's a good point about the bandwidth choice. I wasn't aware those could cause a mismatch. Thanks for the info.
I think I will get the Desktop support guy's to look at his PC for me.

I had this same issue with softphone and it ended up being in that user's audio settings on their PC...
(I can't remember what we changed to fix it. however it was in their pc... if you could hear them, but they couldn't hear you etc...)... something in the control panel...

ptmanjim (Programmer) Feb 10, 2005
Here is a story and question....... Not sure if appropriate or not for this posting.
We dish out IP soft phone for travelers that vpn in from the road as well as certain IT personell or overseas agents that need to work from home for example during inclement weather or time of day for support.
One guy called me last night able to log in but not answer calls nor make calls. Clicked on speaker or handset to no avail the call would end up in VM. As well he could not log off properly.
He is running XP Home Edition on his home PC I found out. Something is telling me there is a conflict with the XP he is running on his home system and the Avaya Soft Phone. His extension is built in our PBX accordingly and no one else seems to have this problem.
Have any of you run into this before? Most other users that get it in our company are runing on laptops or PCs that were ghosted here in our dept. They are using XP pro, 2000 pro.
thx

I'm having the EXACT same symptoms as Goodyrman (no dialtone but I can dial, can hear touchtones, called party can hear but Softphone can't hear them, but received calls work fine. I checked XP Firewall (off) and checked the codecs on both sides 711...the user came into the office so he's connected to the local LAN...if anybody has any ideas, please please PLEASE post. Thanks

I should have posted the resolution. The problem we had was due to the firewall which was built into the ATT VPN dialer (global network client).
If your user has a VPN client, make sure you disable that firewall as well as the Windows firewall.
The softphone will work fine with the client firewall turned on when the VPN connection is active, but will block the softphone while the user is directly connected to the corporate network.
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back