Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Softphone - (Telecommuter Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naperguy1

Programmer
Dec 1, 2003
US
I'm just starting this configuration. Last week I installed a MedPro board in PN1 (1b10). I want to test a softphone on our network before I attempt through our VPN. My problem is the softphone is not logging into the server. I go to login and it just keeps going as if it is trying to connect. My understanding is that in Telecommuter mode, you control through your computer, but talking is via the regular PSTN. Where is my disconnect? I administered the MedPro according to the docs. I can ping the board and ping from the board. I am more familiar with traditional rather than IP. I understand enough. when the system states to login to the server, the ip address I put in is for the S8700, MedPro, or CLAN? I thought the telecommuter mode would be "easier" to test as it is just signaling and calling is through a regular phone line. I am inside my network while trying to test. We have 8 PNs with a 9th coming on within the next 4 months - do we need MedPros in each PN?

Setup: S8700 duplicated (multi-connect)
Naperguy1

I was able to get softphone working with only one Clan card and no MedPro board.

Good luck

If you are doing Telecommuter (Dual-Connect) you don't need the MedPro. The MedPro is used for TDM to IP conversion only. All control for the IP stations (IP Agent, IP SoftPhone, and IP HardPhone) is done via the C-LAN board. When you first launch the IP SoftPhone you want to provide the IP address of the C-LAN board that you are using and the callback number, including access code, that the switch will use to call you back. The link below will take you to the Avaya documentation section for SoftPhone which includes administration information.

Kevin

Thank you 4merAvaya. I appreciate your help. Quick question - MedPro is for IP Softpone (RoadWarrior) and the IP Hardphones to call outside the switch on the PSTN? It would be converting from IP to TDM. Also in DCS situations, u=yes? Thank you in advance. Much appreciated.

Naperguy1

If you are using IP HardPhones, yes, the MedPro is used. But for IP SoftPhone in the dual-connect (telecommuter) mode you don't need a MedPro.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back