Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Softphone 5.1 and VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwswift

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2004
US
I am trying to get IP Softphone 5.1 to work remotely. It will work in the office but when I try to log on remotely, I get a message that say IP softphone incountered an error. It then suggest that I 1. reboot, 2. reinstall, 3. call for technical support. The kicker is that 4.0 works just fine remotely. I suspect that there is a problem with our RSA Secure ID and 5.1 since 5.1 works fine in the office and 4.0 works fine remotely. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Make sure you open the right ports. To login into the clan it uses ports 1719 (udp) and 1720 (tcp). Look at the ip-network-regions you are using and it will list the range of udp ports the medpro will use.

In the future everything will work...

changed ip-network from the default low range of 2048 to 1700. Still does the same thing.

On your VPN firewall you have to open the 1719 and 1720 ports for the referenced protocols. In the ip-network-regions, you should leave the default ports. It will be a range of about 100 if I recall. Let your the person who is in charge of the firewall or VPN know the ports you need open. Also, if they open the ports but still no dice....go into the settings>advanced tab and specify the ip addy and/or the ports.

Checked with our firewall guru and he said that those ports are open. Any other thoughts?

So are you able to login? When you intial login, you are connecting to the IP of the Clan. Goto the advanced tab and check off to use the ip addy the vpn assigns. What vpn client are you using? What firewall?

Having similar issues with IP SoftPhone 5.x and IP Agent 4.x. We have NetScreen FWs and are using two VPN clients, Aventail 5.x and Contivity.

Contivity had one way talk paths at first - but I corrected this by defining in the network map the address pool for VPN clients, and setting up a network region exclusively for them. I removed all IP to IP Audio capability by saying no to Inter and Intra net IP Audio. I left Hairpinning on, and now I have Contivity VPN clients talking to eachother without issue.

Now that I have solvevd the Contivity issues, I am on to Aventail ....

Aventail is an SSL VPN - and has brought up its own issues. I am having people report that they can't log in at all to the s8700, and the login attempt just scrolls through my CLANs. I am also having people report inconsitency in login timing, as in somme times it takes a millisecond, sometimmes it taks 20 minutes.

Obviously I could say it is a bandwidth issue with their Inet connection, however the inconsistency of it may indeed be something in the config of the s8700.

I followed the same course of action as I did for the Contivity VPN clients. I entered in the address pool for Aventail into the Network Map, then created a Net Region with no Inter or Intra IP Audio. Hairpinning ON. Still not resolving anything.

Being a Data guy my whole career until recently, I understand that I have about 412,203 variables to check - but I guess I am wondering if anyone has done any work with the Aventail SSL VPN client and have any tricks up their sleeves.

Jono73
"Where is fancy bread? In the heart or in the head?

If you are unable to login into the Clan it may has to be a port protocol issue. The IP to IP shuffling is a headache to figure out....on the telco side add another 50,000 variables. I found these application notes helpful. Maybe digging around you can find your answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back