Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ip sets keys not working issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxgirltech

Programmer
Oct 9, 2006
US
Wondered if anyone has experienced problems with keys on ip sets? We have cs1000e 7.6 with 1120 and 1140 sets. Our phones have come from different vendors and have different MAC addresses, date of manufacture, etc.

We began seeing issue almost right away after deployment of up sets, the 1120s. First sets were reported that keys 3,6,9 were not working; then reports of other keys not working like 1,4,7; then reports of mute not working.

I find it odd that the key issues reported were the same, and then when changed those reports were the same!

I am leaning towards some issue with the PBX, patch, etc

Anyone have these issues?

It may not be the hardware, but what feature/function is build on those particular keys...have you look at that aspect?

yes these are mix of refurb and new; haven't had issue with any of the 1140s we have deployed and same features/functions on those.....its odd ??? just wondered if anyone had same issues too ?

Multiple buttons in a row or column sounds like a hardware issue.

it did at first but then issue changed; 1st was row 3 6 9, then it was row 1 4 7, then it was Mute....same issues on all phones reported at each time....only on 1120 sets. Some of these are at one office others are at another office, both in the states; now reports of same issues in mexico site too. Different vendors on these sets, different shipments, different MACs, some new and some refurb. So after a few then I began to question PBX issues/compatibility/patch/etc. All are programmed on CS1000E systems with 7.6.

The sets will always have different MAC addresses, just like computers. I would look at patches on the PBX's as well as the signal servers and also make sure the signal servers have the latest firmware for the sets you are deploying.

To determine if the issue is caused by the phones or by the PBX, you could enable packet capture on the signaling server (or on the router through which one of the phones that experiences the issue is connected). You'd need to run the packet capture only to capture traffic during a few button presses that are not recognized by the PBX. Then you could use Wireshark to review UNISTIM packets in the packet capture in order to see if the UNISTIM key event messages are sent by the phone(s) and ignored/dropped by the PBX or if the phones fail to send them.

Thank you all for the input! I will try to packet capture and see if it shows anything and double check servers as well.

I was referring to the MAC addresses of the phones themselves (on boxes) being different sequences, as yes I know the MAC addresses are different for each phone. I just meant they are not all the same string of IDs .

What firmware release of 1120's has installed on Signaling Server ?
Is download running after connecting to node ?

i have 3000 1140 and 500 1110 Ip phone and after 8 years i having a lot of them have 1, 4 7 and 9 keys and handfree bttn go bad .

in my mind it normal

I'm almost sure this is related to the faulty capacitor board in the 11xx series phones. Replace the capacitor and I bet the key pad will work.

We only have about a dozen 1140's. Almost all of them (over the last 5 years) have had to be replaced. The keys die or the power just goes. I personally think that once the power supply gets old, it starts getting really hot, and causes other internal components to fail.

almost certainly caused by failure of the E1 POE daughterboard inside the phone - as already mentioned, over time the capacitors age and dry-out. One of many symptoms of this happening are the random keys not working.

We repair 100's of these a month with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back