Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP routing on Accelar 1200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrobs

Programmer
Jul 16, 2003
US
Hey guys,
How do I add routes to my Accelar 1200 to route between VLANs?

VLAN 1 has IP of 10.0.1.2
VLAN 60 has IP of 10.0.60.2

I have a machine on VLAN 1 with IP of 10.0.1.100 that I want to make available to anyone on VLAN 2.

Thanks!

if you make the Accelar have an IP address in a VLAN it should route that VLAN.

if you have more than one acclear you will need a routing protocol between them.

are you using the JDM or the text based management?

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

For now this is just 1 accelar with only 1000fx ports. Imagine port 1/1 is VLAN 1 and goes off to a closet. Port 1/2 is a different vlan to a different closet. They're in different VLANS for the security, but there's just 1 server I need them both so have access to.

I'm using the CLI and I have JDM...whichever you know better, I'd appreciate the help!

Thanks

I am a wimp, I used the CLI just to get it running to where I could JDM. (it has been a year and a half since I played with an accelar, I am rusty so I am looking at the PDF)

1. enable IP forwarding globally IP Routing > IP
Click Forwarding and Apply

2.Assign an IP number to the interface (VLAN) you have done this, we think.

3.(all the rest are optional) Configure ARP

4. configure DHCP/BOOTP

5. configure VRRP

6. configure RIP or OSPF

7 Configure IP Filtering

Are there routes in the IP Routing tables?

there should be a default route 0.0.0.0 it should point toward the internet gateway, if any.
each of your VLANs should be listed with the .2 address as their gateway (this assumes at least one port of the VLAN is active, if none have link, it will not show)

I'm about to roof test this damn "routing" switch...it won't route!

I read the pdf about setting up routing, took 1 port out of the vlans and made it an isolated routing port, with an IP on a totally different network, to talk to the internet gateway (firewall). OK, so it'll route internet traffic in and out, but that's only because I added the static default route. It's not learning, and there are no packets showing up in the routing logs.

The big issue now is that it seems to be stripping the PVID tags, so when I request a dhcp from any VLAN other than the default (1) my MS DHCP server gives me an IP from the default pool. I need the requests from VLAN 60 to get an IP from the 60 pool (10.0.60.x), etc. Theoretically i should have to set up each VLAN on the routing port, but I can't find where I do that???

Does any of this make sense?

You have enabled IP Forwarding globally? IP Routing > IP
Once you have done that, each VLAN should just need a IP address and a Netmask. RIP or OSPF are only really needed if you want multiple routers to learn the routes.

I am away from my 1200s right now but in each VLAN I enabled DHCP and in IP Routing I listed the 'local' router IP address (in your case the router IP is always .2 in each subnet) and the address of my DHCP Server (in my case I used one DHCP server so this was the same every line) so if your 60 VLAN is the 192.168.60.x addresses, you enable DHCP in the 60 VLAN and list the 60 VLAN IP address (it would be 192.168.60.2) and the address of the DHCP server.

jimpalmer@cableone.net perhaps we could set it up so I could help walk through this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back