Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Routing on 5510 or 8300

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVANH

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2005
I am looking at replacing some core switches. I have been looking at the Nortel switches. I like what I am seeing. I have some questions on the IP routing on the switches. 5510 software release 4.2 supports IP routing using VLANs. How comprehensive is it. Can it replace a cisco router? Or is it just forwarding IP addresses to other VLANS. Is the routing in the 8300 the same as the 5510 or is it more extensible.
I need to implement some routing to segment our network and I want to know if I buy L3 switches if I can do the segmenting without having to purchase routers as well.

Both the 5510 and 8300 will route between VLANs - I don't believe they support brouter ports like the 8600 does, but it's just as easy to define a single port VLAN. It won't replace a Cisco router if that router connects to a T-1 circuit, but if it's a dual ethernet Cisco router routing between internal subnets, it can replace that.

The routing setup between the 8300 and 5510 is virtually identical.

5500's and 8300's are listed as Ethernet Routing Switches, though that is VERY misleading.

5500's as well as 8300's can do static routes ONLY. They are not capable of routing protocols at all. 8300's are designed for closet solutions and/or server aggregation, and allowing the flexibility of cards of various flavors that can be installed. 5510's are basically the same, but obviously they are not a "chassis"

If you have a small network, this may not be that big of a deal.

The 5500's and 8300's are SUPPOSED to EVENTUALLY handle routing protocols and be very similar in configuration to 8600's.

Given the troubled history of 5500's, if I were you and had a choice, I would implement 8300's before 5500's, with all things being equal.

Actually it is not true that the 8300s can only do static routes. As of version 2.2, which came out in June, PP8300 supports RIPv1 and RIPv2. In addition, one can now support announce policies for either RIP, static or direct routes.

Hi JVANH,

Actually the 8300 is a ethernet routing switch this is through static and, as hungyhouse mentioned, as of release 2.2 possible through RIP. Also inter vlan is possible with this device makin it a high speed l3 switch. I don't know what you be using kind of Cisco router but if it's no 7400, you can use the 8300 as alternative. Be aware by my believing the 8300 is supposed to be an edge switch and I'm not aware what other WAN connections it can use but fiber/copper interfaces. If you have this really big core network, I would recommend the 8600 for heavy use, also this device has much more options.

Regards,
JeroeNortel

Not entirely sure about the 8300, but the 55xx can now only do static's.

Nortel staff we met with as far back as 2 years ago indicated that these boxes will be fully L3 capable with RIP & OSPF. That was before the 5520 & 5530 were on sale and we are still waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back