Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ip route problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLE

IS-IT--Management
Mar 31, 2003
US
We have two network card on our system. Both of them work fine as per as detection. one on 64.51.*.* and another on 168.103.*.*

The default route in on 64* ip address. I want to use 168* ip address as secondary. Internally, the 168* works fine but from outside world the machine is not detected. The machine cannoted be pinged or telneted. the traceroute fails after reaching to router. How do make change on route such that both are detected from outside world and 64* is the default route. Right now I cannot ping or telnet to 168.103.*.* from outside world.

Thanks,

AJ

AJ,

I had a similar problem when I was migrating from an old infrastructure to a new one. You can not access the 168.103 network because the return traffic is being routed out the default path of 64.51.*.*. You need to have route statements that tell your multihomed server where to send return traffic. You may be able to configure metrics on the route statements so that 64.51 is the primary route and 168.103 is the secondary route. However, I believe that the server will route traffic to the default 64.51 as long as the interface is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back