Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Recording - MiTAI and CallRex

Status
Not open for further replies.

libellis

Technical User
Apr 9, 2007
US
Is anyone familiar with some sort of 10 line or 10 key limitation imposed by MiTAI when recording IP phones (e.g. 5224) using CallRex recording software from Telrex?

We have been given confusing information to the effect that somehow MiTAI prevents CallRex from recording under certain circumstances. This seems strange because CallRex monitors a span port (mirroring port) on a network switch and we thought that its connection to MiTAI is only to get additional information about the call beyond what is available via span port monitoring.

To my knowledge TelRex does not use MiTia at all. They simply "sniff" all traffic going to and from the 3300/200 and capture it. Mitel has given them access to MiNet protocol so they can understand the formation of the IP packets to and from the 3300/200.

Thanks. Since Release 6.1 of the 3300ICP they've supported a MiTAI connection even though the recorder sniffs packets sent to it from the switch span port to get the audio.

See:
We did some testing today. The CallRex status screen we looked at would indicate that a call was being answered, and it also would indicate that a call was hung up (presumably it gets this information via MiTAI), but it did not always reliably show that a call was hung up even when the phone went back on hook. It appeared that the phone remained off hook. This was a random effect, but happened fairly frequently.

We had some information that there were MiTAI limitations that could cause problems, but we really didn't know exactly what limitations. Tomorrow we'll try to do more testing.

And yes, we've been in contact with Telrex and our Mitel dealer (who is still responsible for getting it to work), but you know how those things go, so we thought we'd give the Forum a shot.

Are you sure that ALL the interesting traffic crosses your recorder. Is there chance that traffic is getting directed to different path by some sort of routing protocol?

We're not losing any traffic. It's my understanding that the problem relates to MiTAI in that it can only monitor a maximum of 10 lines (or buttons - I can't seem to find out which), and we have line appearances in excess of this on the phones.

As long as MiTAI is only being used to pass additional information about the call, and does not actually do any controlling of the recorder, then we don't care if all the extra call information is incorrect. All we need is extension, date/time.

Our testing has been postponed until next week, but we hope to find out.

Personally, I believe that even if the MiTAI connection were to fail, recording would still occur because it just monitors the span port, but we'll see.

I have heard the same thing. We recently sold and installed a 3300 with Telrex and are having the same issue. There is no resolution to my knowledge.

It doesn't work reliably. We'll need to find another solution. Guess it will have to be one that doesn't depend on MiTAI.

In the UK at any rate, Mitel appear to have just announced this:
Mitel Secure Recording Connector Release 1.0

"a new, secure way of connecting your call recording equipment. Using the Secure Recording Connector, customers are provided with a central connection point for call recording equipment, allowing recording of IP extensions and Mitel Teleworker Solution phones with voice encryption activated."

Bulletin #: PA20070038
Date Posted: September 1, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back