Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP question for network guru's?? Curious question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2007
US
I apologize if this is the wrong thread to put this question in. But please feel free to put it where it belongs.

I got a quick question in regards to IP address and computer name on the network. When I do a ipconfig on my computer via command prompt on my computer connected to the company network, I get my ip address say 10.3.40.158.

When I do a nslookup of my computer name, it shows the correct ip address 10.3.40.158.

But, the weird thing is when I do a nslookup of the ip address 10.3.40.158, it shows a different computer name and not my computer name.

Is it because maybe the IP address is now distributed to me now, but maybe it just haven't refreshed in the DHCP?

Thanks

Did you try emptying your DNS cache with ipconfig /flushdns?

Cheers,
Dian

Tried releasing ip address, then flushing dns and then renewing IP but it still says the same computer name as before when doing nslookup with the ip address.

Tried pinging the computer name and it times out so looks like that computer name is not online. In fact the computer name belongs to one of our other offices and is not even located in this office.

Weird.....

Could be a crappy (Windows based?) dns server, like we have at work :-]

That one needs (partial) manual cleanup from time to time especially on long held ip's

HTH
TonHu

As far as Pinging is concerned, some firewalls block ICMP packets and just refuse to answer or acknowledge them. This might be the case with the IP Address you are Pinging?

Thanks guys, yeah maybe it could be the dns server. Will check that out tomorrow.

Thanks!!! This site is always awesome with cool people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back