Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chmilz

Programmer
Jan 10, 2001
CA
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a client who is on high speed internet. Her IP address keeps defaulting to one that doesn't come from her ISP.

She had a technician come out, he did a release and renew on her IP Address and it still is not coming from her ISP.

I have it at my office now... I tried releasing it (0.0.0.0), then shutting down without doing a renew.

After the restart I typed the IPCONFIG command (remember I hadn't done a renew yet) and it came up that I had an address of 169.254.133.172!

Now I can't even release the address! It just keeps coming up as my address... any one know how to fix this problem?

Thanks for all the help! Oh, I have tried two separate NIC's in the machine too... same thing!

Curtis

Looks like the machine is not gettng any responce from the DHCP server.
Make sure you are getting a link light.
Have you changed NIC cards? If you have you may need to inform your ISP that you changed NIC so that they can change there MAC based access list.
Hope this helps. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org

What does the configuration look like?

Is it this?
ISP --- external modem --CAT5cable-- NIC card

Or are there other machines connected aswell?

Have you checked to see if the IP is static, or DHCP assigned?
NB - as you've moved offices, and hence connections, it sounds like you've got a static IP.
(Depending on your ver of Windows, select network settings, select properties, scroll down until you see an entry "TCP/IP --> RealTek 3242 10/100MBps Network card" (or whatever NIC you happen to have), select properties; you should see "Obtain IP address automatically" - make sure this is selected.)

If you need more help-[ul][li]could you post the results of "ipconfig /all" i.e. IP add, subnet mask, gateway, etc...[/li][li]could you describe the connection to the internet / any LAN connections setup / any routers connected[/li][/ul]
<marc>[ul]help us help![sup][li]please provide feedback on what works / doesn't[/li]
[li]not sure where to start? click here: faq581-3339[/li][/sup][/ul]
[/sup]

Hello all,

Thanks for all the posts... here is more info for you...

The config works like this:

Addresses are Dynamically assigned through this route: ISP-EXT MODEM-CAT-5-NIC.

This has nothing to do with making sure TCP/IP settings are correct. They all are how they should be for access to the internet. My problem is that the NIC seems to be giving itself its own IP address automatically.

I have NO cable plugged into the machine, yet somehow it manages to assign itself the 196.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address. Any attempts to release this IP are unsuccessful.

Thanks again for all the help!

Curtis

Addresses in the range 169.x..x.x are correct. If the NIC cannot find a DHCP server it is supposed to assign itself a 169.x.x.x address when DHCP is enabled (I am hoping the 196.x.x.x is a typo) It is not particularly useful, but it is correct behavior.

I would be sure I had link lights at the NIC and at the Modem (each end only tests one pair, you need both) testing it in a network where I could assign it a static IP may prove fruitful.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

A real simple test to do is to connect the machine to a known working router that is setup to do DHCP, your ip address should change to one whithin router's range. You didn't say what version of windows the machine as. win98 and below will not release to all zero's, with &quot;obtain an ip address automatically&quot; selected the machine will get an ip address from a DHCP server, if none is found windows will assign it an ip address starting with 169.x.x.x(this info is programmed into the registry on all applicable versions of windows(after 3.1)). Did you connect another pc to your friends internet connection to verify that she is connected to her isp's dhcp server? If she isn't then the pc is correct in coming back with 169.x.x.x. Also verify that her service from her isp is dynamic and not pppoe which require a connection thru software before aquiring an ip address. &quot;never hack a crack for he may crack and hack back&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back