Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jreed03

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2006
US
Hi,

I have a computer that has its own IP address and when i ping it, it comes back with the IP address of the domain controler. When i ping the domain controler it gives me its own IP. This is a problem becuase when i try to update it, it thinks that it is the domain controler and asks me for a password and dosent let me access it.

I tryed flushing the DNS cache and no luck. I realy have no idea what the problem is.

DNS can have more than one name listed for any given IP. These are called aliases (or CNAME entries). Are you sure the pc in question does not have the same name as one of the DC's aliases?

Check the hosts file on the pc you ping with for an entry either involving the pc in question OR the DC. If DNS is working properly you should not need them.

When you flushed the DNS cache, you did that on the pc you ping with, right?

My first thought was what Lawnboy was leaning toward. Check that the PC you are pinging FROM, does not have a hosts file configured. Try pinging the problem machine from several different PC's and see if the results are the same. If the results are the same, you're going to have to comb through your DNS setup.

Try the command nbtstat -A [ip_address] from a remote machine to the problem machine where ip_address is the ip address of the problem machine. Try it to the DC also.

from the DC, try nbtstat-n and see what names are associated with the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back