Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeans

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2000
CA
Is there any way to have Win95 print to an IP address? Win98?

Yes, as long as the printer can be setup for that.
For example when setting up a printer in control panel you will get an option for lexmark tcp\ip port.........than it will install drivers and be able to print to it.

You are probably thinking of NT. I would like to print to a networked IBM 4312 from Windows 95 and 98 workstations. It has a local ip address and receives print jobs from an AS400 across a WAN link. For local Windows based printing I presently use a parrallel cable and share the printer with others via windows. It is becoming impractical (parrellal runs longer than 60' and close to EMF when run through ceilings) to have the printer attached to a particular desktop when the printer is on the IP network anyway. If I could send print jobs directly to the printer from each workstation, it would solve a lot of parallel cable routing problems. I have 20 locations that are similar in their needs.

You're right about the NT. Not sure about 95.
How many users per account?
Why not get more printers?

Either attach the printer to one PC and share it, or if you don't want to tie down a PC while printing, then get a print server, attach your printer to it and print to your new network printer. The print servers come with directions for setting them up on a IP network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back