Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phones..Vlan by location? General Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moshimoshi

Technical User
Mar 11, 2008
US

We are kind of in a half state between a solid IP space we merged with last year, and some old IP space/Vlans that we need to get off of within our company, and since this is coming up (third attempt), I was hoping to figure something out.

1. Changing IPs on CLANs and stuff, what do I need to know?

2. I have some nodes, clan-CMS which is 192.168.2.2 and CMS itself on 192.168.2.3. This was unexpected to me, since I would have thought these needed to speak with the rest of the world. Should I leave it be, even if we move everything to its new address space (10.150.x.x) or try to get them onto the public switched network?

3. Headquarters wants us to put all VOIP phones into a 10.150.vvv.100-200 range of IPs, where vvv = the vlan of that location (all different locations of our campus have a different VLAN), and then can accept any address between 100-200...now the problem is, I can't see how this is doable from the telecom side, I may just not understand it well enough, but how is this even achieved? From the details he's sent me, I haven't seen any reference to VLAN configuration or anything on the phone side, so I don't understand how he was going to achieve this. Can anyone offer some feedback?

1. Make a different node-names with the new IP addresses and disable the ip-interface and then change the name and enable it. Delete the old node-name. If you don't do it this way you will have to delete the data mods...very painful. Not something to do in the middle of the day.

2. Leave these alone. These are direct connects from your CMS to your PBX (they aren't on your network switches). These should be in a Network Region of their own, otherwise you will get phones that try and register to this address space due to CLAN load balancing (Discovering 192.168.2.2) and of course the phones will never get to that IP because it isn't on the network.

3. You can not change a phones IP address from the PBX. This is a network function of your DHCP server. You can use the ip-network-map to differentiate IP's to different network regions but it can get messy.

All 46xx phones get the following values from option 176 on the DHCP server. YOU can specify different IP address scopes on the DHCP server each with its own option 176.
Al 96xx phones get their setings from option 242 onthe DHCP server.

The phones can amongst others get the following settings:
MCIPADD = CLAN card it registers to IP addresse(s)
MCPORT = 1719
TFTPSRVR = IPaddress TFTP only for 46xx phones (option 176)
HTTPSRVR = IPaddress only for 96 xx phones (option 242)
VLANTEST = how long the phone must wait to get a valid VLAN
L2QAUD = Layer 2 audio value as in IP network region
L2SIG = Layer 2 Signalling value as in IP network region
L2QVLAN= value of voice vlan
The phone will boot up in the data vlan look for a dhcp server, read option 176/242 and reboot into the correct vlan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back