Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phones Resetting Constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmpotu

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2013
US
Hey guys. Comming back to the pros for some advice.
We just had a power blip. (We have the Avaya system on a battery backup and it didn't seem to lose power)

Now our IP phones are flashing username and extension instead of staying static like they normally do on the display.
(Like it's going between 2 pages of data if that makes sense)

As soon as we pick up the phone to make a call the phone reboots. (Hapenning on multiple IP phones)
I've rebooted the phone system twice with no luck.
I managed to 'fix' two phones by doing Mute - C - L - E - A - R and then reconnecting the extension.(However this fix is not working for all of the phones.)

Phone model 1608-I
Avaya IP Office
Our Server that the IP Office software is on hands out DHCP addresses to the phones and they are routed to that server via a separate VLan.

Any advice would be great.

Tried Mute CRAFTCLEAR # ?
This is for phones with new firmware.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

Did you restart IP Office? Most of the time that solves the problem as the phones weren't unregistered properly due to your power outage.

This is caused by adding new phones to the system while you still have opened the Manager. By adding the phones it will create extensions which are not in the config you have open in the manager. After you added the phones you send back a config without those new extension. So next time close the config before plugin the new extensions if those are up and running then you can use the Manager again to make changes.

Avaya_Red.gif

@bas1234 - No I have not tried CRAFTCLEAR# (Didn't know that existed.)

@intrigrant - I have gone into manager and selected Advanced > Reboot and rebooted the system that way. Is there something else I should be doing?

@bas1234 - Manager was closed down and no one was logged into the vmail server we use to host the ip office software and give out IP address through DHCP. Then the power flickered. Then the phones got messed up. After that point I'm sure we did CLEAR a couple of phones with Manager open.

So you suggest we close manager. CLEAR the broken phones. Then should I login and Reboot the manager once the phones get their extension back?

Log off all the extensions via the A menu, and then logon all of them one at a time.

It shouldn't act up like that after a power failure, there must be something wrong even before the power outage.
I have never seen something like what you describe and we do a lot ip phone installations.

@Okkie26 -- If by 'A menu' you mean the Avaya Menu button on the handset then we'd have to do that manually for over 100+ phones. Can I open system status in the software and click h323 extension and select all of them and click register for the same effect?

@bas1234 -- CLEAR-ing the phones when Manager is not open seems to have worked on the two I tested. Thanks! Is there a way to CLEAR them or reregister through the software so I don't have to go to each phone? Can this be done through System Status?

In the manager > Extension >H323 extension > VOIP. Dit you set an IP address?

If you did, remove this (0.0.0.0)

Otherwise, try to remove the extensions ( not the user )

Then on system > Lan > VOIP enable 'auto create extn' and reset IP Office.

The reset IP extensions. (easy way to do is to disable POE on the switch and then enable again )

@Okkie26 - Everything is on auto on the extension ans the system is already setup to auto as you suggested. I just went and verified all of those settings. Thank you for suggesting that though. I didn't know those options were there under system > Lan > advanced > Voip

One thing I am noticing is I keep seeing BAD ADDRESS records show up in our DHCP addresss leases pool on our server while trying to fix these phones. I clear out the bad leases so it will free up those IP but they just keep showing up.

Still remove all exsisting H323 extensions. Could be a license issue.

also disable the Auto create extn option as soon as you're ready installing the system on the customer site...

Are those 1600 series phones on an older system?
More info!!

What mac id do you see?

MAC = 00:1B:4F:13:70:08, SN = 123456789012 ???

Avaya_Red.gif

@okkie26 - I am the customer =P I work in our IT Department and manage our phone system. I actually have AT&T here on a support call however they are on hold calling Teir 2 support. So I'm hoping to find a resolution on my own if possible.

So removing all the h323 extensions I would have to delete them from Ip Office Manager. Then do a Reboot on Manager and then when they come back up I'd need to input the EXT for each phone manually correct? (This is if I turn off the auto create EXT option?)

Side note: Even though auto create extension is checked in system > Lan > advanced > voip. A new phone always prompts for user input asking which EXT to use and then it asks for a phone password. (Which we have a default.)

Nice one Bas. Could be a firmware issue. 1608-I extensions only works from IP release 5.0.24 or up...

And yes, it is possible that it worked before on an older release, and suddenly it stops working..

Do the ip phones register with another ip office? Is this the only ip office or is there another ip office?

@GMPOTU,

Indeed , remove all extenions from IP Office manager and reboot. Then when you register a new extension, by typing the numner and password on the phone, it will create a new H323 extenion in the IP Office.

DHCP issued through VM on Server 2008.
IP Phones 1608 - Connect to VLan setup for the phone system which routes to the 'vmail' server we created and that vmail automatically gives out DHCP Leases to the MAC ID ab:cd:12:34 not the SN=

I am noticing some BAD ADDRESSES in DHCP.

Avaya IP Office Manager R7 [7.0(278401)] when I click on About is says Version 9.0(27)

TFTP and HTTP server IP's are configured.
Phone File Server type is set to "memory card"

Codec we're using on the telephony tab is G7.11 ULAW 64k

Hope that is enough info.

Ao you use e separate (windows) DHCP server?

Why not use the IP Office DHCP server? And did you disabled the DHCP server on the IP Office?

Option 242 set on the DHCP server?

Read this!

I think they are broken and can't be fixed!
After implementation, phones downgraded from 1.3.3 or 1.3.4 to 1.3.2 may not be allowed on the customer network as the phone MAC address will be the default value and be viewed as a duplicate MAC address in presentation to the network.

Avaya_Red.gif

@Okkie26 - Option 242 is set as Secondary. The Primary is different. (We have a network admin person that setup the majority of the DHCP portion on the server for us So I'd have to ask him for more details.) Anything specific I should be asking him or checking with him on? There is another option number next to 1100 VLAN specific.

What's weird is that when we call from Digital to IP or when someone calls in via their cell phone or landline everything is fine. However IP phone to IP phone they drop and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back