Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phones reseting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bito

Technical User
Dec 12, 2003
US

Hi All,

We have a Definity G3 and are using 4610 & 4620 (about 80 phones total) IP phones at a remote site. We have been having issues with the phones spontaneously resetting to the ext or password prompt. This is not a new issue it was happening at our other remote site a couple of years ago. Any ideas why this might be happening and what we can do to possibly fix it?

Thanks a bunch,

Bito

What are you using for the power supply?

Thanks for the response twix. We are using an external power supply (under desk) that powers the phone through the LAN port. A couple of 'theories' i have are;

1. Replace LAN cables. It seems these phone are extremely picky about the LAN cables. They may test fine on a tester but the phones just don't like them. I have replaced LAN cables for other issues and it seems to do the trick.

and/or

2. The power supplies are touchy and if the agents kick them it causes the phones to reset.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

We haven't had a lot of problems with LAN cables that I'm aware of. We are not using the cables provided with the phone, rather I think we used Panduit for all of our cabling.

Second, we are using power over ethernet out of the closet. We have lost a couple of the powered switches, which obviously knocks down the phone. The phones should come all the way back though when the power comes back. One thing to keep in mind is that if you change the password on the station in the switch or using remote access, the password in the phone is still the original, and that is the password that the phone will try use if ever reset. Knowing that, we have found that we have to log the phone off and back in if we do change the password. Otherwise the phone will get stuck at the password prompt, and our users have no idea what to do. We do not give the passwords for the phones out to users to discourage them picking a phone up and moving it.

Not sure that this was much help. My guess is that your option number 2 could very well be the culprit, and if so, making sure that the passwords all match up should help.

Thanks Twix. I think this may be the case also. We don't change the passwords.... ever. We use the same password on all phone (and dont share with the users). Sometimes they come right back up sometimes they don't. Is there a "timeout" setting that will determine if the phone should prompt to verifyr an ext & pwd vs. just coming back up with the programmed information? i.e. if the isnt back up in 30 seconds prompt to verify the info?

thanks,

Jason

I'm not sure about the timeout. Sounds like you use about the same process for passwords as us, so I don't have much else for ideas.

Jesse

I had problems with 4630 ip phones on G3SI r11.1 updated to 11.3 problem seems to have stopped this was luck as the update was for IP trunk problems.

Hi,

We had the same problem with re-boots, it was cured when we changed the 46xx settings file on the tftp server.
We are using 46xx_111004 for 4602s and 4620s and v2.1 for 4630s

Hope this helps

Thank you for the suggestions i will give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

thanks,

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back