Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phones Rebooting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobRendle

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2012
GB
Morning all,

This is a very odd issue and is currently being investigated by Avaya, to no avail.

Details ;-

Control Unit - IP500v2 (has been replaced)
Expansion Cards: VCM32 (has been replaced)/BRI8 (has been replaced), CombiATM4 (has been replaced), DS8 (has been replaced)
Releases Attempted: 7.0.36, 8.1 FP1, 8.1 FP1 (build 67)
Handsets have used the firmware from 7.0.36 plus those from 8.1 FP1
SD Card has been replaced and config re-programmed from scratch
We've enabled and also disabled Direct Media Path
Handsets use Call Appearence keys via the user's settings rather then User Rights (I've seen the latter can cause problems)

Issue occurs on 1608i/1616i WITHOUT bbms. The handsets with bbms seem to be recorded.
4 Port VM Pro, with Call Recording set to on, on 4 extensions (On NOT Mandatory) - these handsets haven't rebooted.

One handset at any given time will restart. However, it won't restart in a way that you'd expect an IP Phone would - it's like it loses power for less than a second. The users have base extensions and login users, when the phone restarts the user logged in does not get logged out from the handset.

Phones are connected to the LAN2 port and hence does not share the Cat5e network with the customers PC's/Network Devices. Phones are assigned an IP Address via the IP Office's DHCP setting and are powered using PoE switches (both have been replaced)

Customers network has been proven as OK via an independant Cat5e companies testing.

Wireshark traces show that the handset is "talking" to the IP Office control unit without issue, the IP Office/Handset respond to the keep alive requests just fine and then the handset "Disapears" for a few seconds and then comes back..

SSA shows nothing untorward and a monitor trace show's the following :-

92325983mS H323Evt: GK: Unregister endpoint SystemName_50f7dcdb40364ba2 for extension 322 reason 3
92325983mS CMExtnEvt: GPRoom8:322 ExtnFault now 1

Note I've edited the systemname section for confidentiality reasons! But in it's place was the name of the telephone system

It doesn't really show anything other than that to acknowledge a phone has restarted. If you go in to the h323 phone status section you can see a selection of handsets that have sufferent from the issue.

We have also deployed a few power bricks to see if there was something in the Cat5e network that could interupt the power, however those with power bricks have restarted since then. So really I believe we may have eliminated the following :-

Control Unit
Expansion Cards
PoE Switches
Customers Cat5e Network

Leaving potential issues with :-

IP Handset Firmware
Bugs in 7.0.36, 8.1 FP1, 8.1.67
VoiceMail Pro Call Recording - noted minor congestions here, am trying to get confirmation that the congestion count coincides with a handset restart

If anyone has come across any similar issues or has any suggestions I'd love to hear from you!

Many Thanks,

Rob

Hi Peter,

Thanks again for the response :).

Here's a newb question (you wouldn't think I've been doing this for 10 years!!), the phones are grabbing their files from the SD Card, am I correct in thinking that I can upload the SP5 firmware files to the SD Card using Embedded File Management and then just force the phones to re-register to get their new firmware? Or it would it be more advisable upgrading the core system to 8.1 SP5 as well?

You can do both.
You need to upload the phone files and the 16xxupgrade.txt too as this file says to the phones that they need to upgrade.
You can also upgrade the IP500v2 and then it is not needed as it will do the uploading from manager by itself.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Cheers Peter - just going to upload the relevent files for the 1608's to upgrade as the 1616's are working just fine and have BBM's attached.

Whilst uploading the files in to a different folder (to make live easier tonight) I did notice the 46xxsettings.txt file is missing from the PRIMARY folder on the SD Card - which is a little odd! Whether this has been causing the problem is a different question, however I know that file distributes a lot of settings to the handsets..

Will be doing the firmware update tonight, so I'll let you know how it pans out.

You can put that file on it too.
When it is missing them the ipoffice sends a auto generated file.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back