Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phones on different subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jupster

Technical User
Feb 11, 2010
AU
We have an Avaya IP500 on a 172.28.2 subnet, we have a site in QLD which has a 172.28.4 subnet. We also have a layer 3 switch on our side, before the 2 Cisco Routers that join our 2 locations, with a vlan so QLD can talk to our DC etc... I would like to put an IP phone in our QLD office, does anybody have any ideas how I would do this?? What do I need to do to the IP500 for it to issue .4 IP addresses, and also for the phone to function on the .4 subnet?

The IP500 won't issue an address that isn't on it's subnet.

You will need to statically assign the IP phone a .4 subnet IP, subnet mask and the default gateway IP, then assign the IP500 IP to it that the IP phone registers to, along with the port.

Most likely there will have to be a VPN tunnel built between subnets for the voice traffic to pass.

Of course, you could test connectivity between subnets using ping tests between the .4 subnet and the IP500 IP address. If the networks can talk to each other, that is half the battle won

NCSS NCTS NCTE

Thanks for that, I understand what you are talking about except "assign the IP500 IP to it that the IP phone registers to, along with the port??" Is this done on the phone or through manager. Also how could I ping .4 from the IP500 IP address? I have tried the reverse and there is no ping.

I have tried the reverse and there is no ping.
I'd address the routing issue before proceeding with anything else. In the IP routes ection of the swicth programing add a route - either specific for the 172.28.4 subnet or a default gateway.

Until you can ping from the remote site to the IP500 (assuming your cisco routers will pass the ICMP), you have no hope with voice.

assign the IP500 IP to it that the IP phone registers to, along with the port??" Is this done on the phone or through manager

You can't assign the gatekeeper address through the manager. You can do it through the phone keypad (press mute then addr# and keep stepping through the entries using the # key until you find the entry for call server, which is the IP address for the ip500)

Alternatively use a DHCP option on the DHCP server to set all the parameters.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Would it be easier to just have a vpn up on the machine that the phone is connected too. The VPN comes in on a different line than the QLD line. I know i have used telecommuter mode with phone manager from home, and its been fine.

If you have a VPN available between sites, that probably would be the way to go. A VPN connection may solve the routing, QoS and voice packet issue (that are most likely just around the corner) for you...

Also, I would make sure my cisco is set for 100mb full and not auto. I would do the same on the phone (if you have the choice for it), I would also check and see if the IP500 is defaulted to G.729

NCSS NCTS NCTE

If you have to build routes from the .4 subnet to the .2 subnet...it will be something like (this is microsoft, cisco will be a little different) add route -p 172.16.2.XX 255.255.255.255 172.16.4.1

First address is the address of the IP500, subnet mask defines the single address you are routing toward, and the last address is the gateway you use to get out of your network

NCSS NCTS NCTE

Would it be easier to just have a vpn up on the machine that the phone is connected too. The VPN comes in on a different line than the QLD line. I know i have used telecommuter mode with phone manager from home, and its been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back