Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phones go in Discover Mode !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimpoo

Technical User
May 9, 2003
HK
Hi !

We have a very straighforward setup.
Avaya S8710 at site A with Medpro and Clan cards

4610 IP phones at other office

the 2 sites connected via point to point leased lines.

Some ip phones, once a while, go in Discover mode.
This happens across the floor. No specific pattern.

The occurance is pretty high.

Please assist.

Cheers

your point-to-point is either:

A) Down for brief periods
B) overloaded with traffic, and the IP phones cannot connect.

The symptoms you describe, are simply the IP phones telling you they cannot find the H323 Gatekeeper (usually refering to CLAN cards, or processor ethernet)

Mitch

Thanks Mitch.

Is there any command that can help me supervise an ip-phone loosing connectivity with the C-Lan ? ( Except ofcourse "list registered" )
Can I log this information someplace ?

cheers !

From the maintenance web interface look at the system logs and specifically the IP Events.

Or you can run a trace on an IP Address if you know approx. when this is happening.

list trace ras ip-address

Thanks folks.

Actually after a little bit if surfing i identified a command, status ip-board xxyy.
This shows the time when the c-lan card last resetted.

We could actually relate, the phones going in discover mode with this reset time.

We have swapped the board, fingers crossed.

If it turns out to be a hardware problem i will be surprised, cause the pbx never threw any alarms.

Were there any CRC errors on your switch (data)? Could be an indicator of bad cabling. I'd also confirm that everything was locked down to 100/Full (not negotiated at 100/FULL...as some network admins will use interchangably as hard set).

A continous ping to the C-lan port showed packet drops.
If the new hardware gives same errors we will start swapping cables, switch ports, slot in the epabx etc.

Hi Dimpoo

Any news about your problem?
We've had those kind of issues (4610 going mad) since 1 or 2 months, and just try some network changes to resolve it, everything seems ok now (ok, since 2-3 hours :).

The problem was resolved after replacing the C-Lan card.
Actually the reset of Clan was linked to the ip-phones going in discover mode. Or vice versa :)
Surprisingly the EPABX did not throw alarms.
Its been smooth sailing since then.

Since we were not riding on the Data N/W ( we have separate links for Voice only ) it was much easier for us.
Once you are on the Data N/W it is much complicated. QoS, switch speeds, hops, etc etc..

Actually I have been struggling with another problem which I have posted. My ip phones at a specific site cant talk to each other.. check my thread "No Voice between IP Phones in same network " and see if you can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back