Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP phones display DISCONNECTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstrong

Programmer
Jun 22, 2007
US
Hey,

We have been having this problem for a while now where about 3-4 times a day all the IP phones will display DISCONNECTED when someone picks up the handset to make a call. After about 5 minutes it comes back and works fine. We have some digital phones hooked up and they don't seem to have the same problem. I don't know that much about his phone system so I don't even know where to start looking for the problem.

We have the IP 403 system Version 3.0 (40) and 4606IP phones. Any ideas?

Well, I can not tell you how to fix it as this will be difficult to diagnose but basically you have a problem with your network, could be many many things non of which are related to the actual IP Office itself, you need a word with your IT Dept.

ACS - IP Office Implement

I am the IT department and I am very familiar with our network so what kind of things should I be looking for?

Are you sure it's an Avaya IPOffice and not a DEFINITY?

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

Yea, it's definitely an Avaya IP Office.

I have only ever seen DISCONNECTED on the screen of DS 54XX phones and 2 situations. The other end hung up (although the phone usually knows this and goes back to default itself) and when we have had problems with the ISDN trunks cutting calls off.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

You should run monitor and save some traces from the event.

Could it be a VCM issue? maybe out of VCM's when they pick up the phone.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

OK, so I have the monitor running and the sales people are going to let me know the next time the phones say DISCONNECTED.

I also checked the VCM channels and we have 5 and from what I read, it sounds like this might be our problem. Just to make sure I have this right please confirm that is correct: every call to or from an IP phone to an outside line requires a VCM channel. What about outside calls that go to voicemail, does this also take up a channel? If so, this could be the problem since we definitely use up to 5 channels at certain times during the day.

Voicemail doesn't need a VCM channel, just a data channel and there are more then VCM's they are by hardware, the vcm's are used for IP to non-IP connections. Even if you call IP phone to IP phone it is used until the connection is established then the VCM channel drops

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

So it happened again and I checked the log and I got the following: "No VoCoder is available for the dial/ring tone to Extn 763" which from my search of the forums shows that we don't have enough VCM channels, correct? I don't really understand this since at the time it happened, the CallStatus program only showed two IP phone connected to outside lines, If we have 5 VCM channels, why would it not have enough?

I restarted the IP 403 and we don't seem to be having the same problem. Is there a chance the VCM channels got stuck or something and weren't being set free?

It is possible that you are on the brink of a vcm card failure.

I noticed you are running on 3.0.40. (from march 2005)
This was the first release of 3.0. And some of the techs over here stay away from every first release
Maybe time for a upgrade to the latest 3.0 release 3.0.69 or even 3.2 as 4+ isn't supported by your IP403.

I was actually just going to ask about the software version. When I go to File -> Advanced -> Upgrade, it says that the latest available version is the one I have, 3.0.40. is there a different way to upgrade it?

You'll have to download the latest software over here:

Select the correct software version for you that will be 3.0 (NOT DT) 3.1 or 3.2 with a IPOffice403.

READ THE TECHNICAL BULLETIN THAT COMES WITH IT AS WELL or you'll end up with the need for a serial cable to the DTE-port on the back.

Thanks everyone for all your help, I will upgrade this weekend.

You said you only had 2 IP Phones connected to outside line, but how many total calls were there on the system????

Check the settings aginst the IP Extensions>VOIP tab and see if "Direct Media Path" is ticked or not. With it turned on pre 4.0 systems the IP Phones will use a VCM talking to another IP Phone.

It could still be simply a matter of not enough VCM's or enabling Direct Media

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back