Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP phones connect to the wrong CLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevea2Z

Technical User
May 2, 2003
BE
Ok guys, can someone help me out? I have a 8720 R 3.1.2 with 10 Clan boards. I want one building to connect with a specific CLAN board and the other building to connect with another CLAN. How can I make this possible. The situation now is that the phones of building A connects with the clans for building B. How can I change this ?

Second question, date/time format? The customer wants it in 24 hours format instead of AM/PM It isn't in the terminal options, where it was before. Anyone an idea ?

My amature opinion on how to register phones to different CLAN cards would be to set the DHCP options differently per subnet. Hopefully you have different subnets/vlans per floor and building. If so then the DHCP properties would hand out the IP of the CLAN depending on the gateway the request came from.

My first post i am trying to learn this stuff so let me know if I am wrong guys.

We currently have the network regions set up for our CLAN's and the one thing that we have noticed is that occassionaly, some IP Endpoints will register to a CLAN not in the same region.

Has this happened to anyone else??

Regards..

We currently have the network regions set up for our CLAN's and the one thing that we have noticed is that occassionaly, some IP Endpoints will register to a CLAN not in the same region."

This is correct behaveour. When registering, IP phones in a particular region recieve an alternate gatekeeper list (=CLAN's). This list also contains CLAN's in other regions that have a "direct WAN" connection with the native region of the IP phone.
If the CLAN(s) of the native region are too busy (which is determined by ACM), the phone will register on an alternate CLAN, and this CLAN may be in another (direct WAN connected) region.

A solution may be to use ghost regions, and this is were I double bsmo's advise to read the network-region tutorial. It's very good.

Thanks guys, The network regions has solved the issue.

Thanks nkook, that is correct, but unfortuantely we have an intervening region set up due to running a MPLS network, and the intervening is there to control bandwidth into each of the regions...

None of our endpoint regions are directly connected and I know that this issue has bugged Avaya for a while, so I guess I will keep asking them if they have come up with an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back