Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ip Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfoTechEE

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2010
US
What would be a good quality IP/Sip phone to use for connecting to an Asterisk system? We are going to replace our Nortel Meridian with an Asterisk PBX.

This would be my list in no particular order:

Aastra
Polycom
Snom
Linksys
Cisco
Mitel (Dual Mode)
Yealink

There are a lot of nice xml scripts available for Aastra phones. I would also look at EHS capability, headsets. If they are EHS compatible, no handset lifter is necessary. Are you going to be using an endpoint manager? Check which phones are supported. Cisco phones are great, but a pain to configure, (my opinion). Polycom's are easier, but also want to reboot with the smallest change. Mitel's are great quality, but you have to convert them to sip. Yealink, have only used in one install. Linksys and Aastra, both good phones, but seems as if there has been more "done" with the Aastra/Asterisk relationship, i.e. xml scripts.

The headset will be a challenge. We currently all have the GN Netcom wireless headsets (no lifters). I am assuming that they are not compatible with SIP phones?

They are may or may not be compatible.

GN Netcom should be able to provide a list of compatible, (and how compatible) phones.

Worst case, the user has to manually press the answer button instead of being able to press the button on the side of the headset to answer.

I have tested the Aastra and there are scripts to auto-configure, it works well. They are reasonably priced too. The 673x series is what I tested and they support headphones too. Good luck on your project!

GrandStream GXP2000

is a very good entry level phone 4 line appearances, and buttons for transfer, conference, voice mail, and mute. It is pretty rugged and I have had nothing but good experiences with this phone.

We switched from NortelBCM400 to Asterisk PBX a few months ago and we were able to re-use our GN Netcom headsets with the Aastra 6731i. Just had to unplug the handset and plug in using the same cables we used with the Nortel phones. Works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back