Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ip Phone with ATA 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

golduk

Technical User
Aug 3, 2007
MX
Hi.

I hope someone answer this question, or at least leave an opinion.
I have an Ip Phone 7911, and someone ask me about to have a normal phone.

I can doit with atas, but i dont want to use more resources.

IS THERE A WAY TO HAVE BOTH WITHOUT USE AN ATA?

The 7911 is an IP phone only. No way to hook up an alalog phone. However, just about any Cisco router (with the right VWic card), a VG2xx or an ATA (depending on the version of call manager) will give you an analog line.

It is what it is!!

ok, thaks.

:), someone should create a device from ethernet to (ethernet and phone entry)

:) it souns useless, but it could works.

There wouldn't be much of a market for it. ATAs work OK, but aren't very good. The major hurdle in Cisco's offering is that cost per port of analog systems. One of my last companys I worked had a lot of FAXes so we invested in 2 VG248s (48 ports analog). If they didn't already have analog phone structured cabling, it would have been a nightmare. We used ATAs for a while but abandoned them for a the centrally managed VG248s. There really is not simple analog solution. It is what it is.

It is what it is!!

Cisco already has. It is the ATA you mentioned before. :) An IP phone with an external analog jack (built-in ATA) would do it but I doubt there are too many calls for something like that. With the decline of modems and stand-alone fax machines. what else would you use it for?

I use ATA devices on wirless polycom phones. Since Cisco doesnt provide a wirless conference phone this works great.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate helpful posts........

sad that Cisco doesnt provide a wireless spider conf rm phone. good idea using an ATA.

How come they got rid of the ATA 188? By prividing an ethernet port on that unit you could get a IP phone, a pc and up to 2 analogue devices (fax, cordless) hanging off one cat5 point. Was a good little unit I think!

Thanks for your answers.

This has been very usefull for me.

We´ll change the atas for a VG2.. and im gonna use another ext for that case.

For the way, why is a disaster use the G711 and the G729 with ip phones, atas and ipcomunicators..

Just a hint with the VG200 series. Do you best to get them hooked into the same router, or at least the same switch ast the router, that is your gateway. If you are trying to use dial up geater than 14.4, latency can be a HUGE problem. It is easier to just string the VG200s straight to the phone gateway even if you have to use fiber. It will ensure that the analog connections are reliable.

It is what it is!!

One other thing to mention with ATAs is that they do not do data modem translations. We run a manufacturing environment, anyway one of the older machines only has a modem, and it was broke. The OEM needed to dial into the machine but alas we have voip, so instead of running an analog phone line out there we decided to try using an ATA, it took a couple of hours until we decided to check TAC and there in big letters it explained to us that ATAs do not function with a data modem attached to them..but the FAX works great on them, go figure.

Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner.
Douglas Adams

Cisco makes the 186 dual port Planetmaker.

Hope this helps.

Planetmaker, my mistake. I ordered the 186-ATA-l1 and the supplier assured me is was a dual port device. I'm sure its a dual port fxs.

Hope this helps.

It has two analogue ports but it won't have 2 network ports.
That's what the 188 had and now they've stopped making it.
Bummer!

you could always use a FXS card in an NM2V. I have some dect phones plugged into my FXS and works nice along side the IP phones..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back