Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP phone transfer problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdowling

MIS
Nov 19, 2001
BM
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knew wxactly how the call transfer process works on a 4610 IP phone on a 8710 CM3 system. I know this is a very general question but there is a reason for it.

At our call centre, our agents take inbound calls on line 1 and transfer off-net to an external party on line 2. When the agent initiates the transfer, they must go through the 3rd part's IVR, select a few options to get to the relevant department and attempt a call transfer. Often the agents have to go between calls to gain and pass on information to the 3rd party agent (all while in the transfer process). This seems to work sometimes but in some cases does not.

What happens when it goes wrong (i.e. agent cannot transfer the call), both lines are put on hold and the transfer process dies. The only way for the agent to complete this process is to drop the second call and start from the beginning (keep the caller on line 1, hit transfer, call 3rd party, go through IVR and hope they get somebody that will be willing to take the call right away).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Charles.

cdowling,

one of my customers is experiencing the same problem. i've got avaya support working on it, no results yet.

Hi:

Maybe if agents were to work differently it would work:

When they need to transfer a call, They should:
- set the caller on hold
- take a 2nd line & call IVR until 3rd party responds.
- now press transfer,
- press line 1 (caller on hold)
- press transfer again.

As such the transfer process is kept to a minimum

regards,

Tiramisu

tiramisu,

did you try this procedure yourself? i tried it on my 6416, it didn't work. maybe there is some system setting i should turn on or off?

I haven't tried that exactly, but this is something I often demonstrate in call centers when they have problems with transfers.

The only thing I could think why it shouldn't work:
- agents must have 3 lines
- 2 of them are incoming last 1 is only outgoing

regards,

Tiramisu

tiramisu,

my own extension has 3 call appearances, third one is restricted for outgoing calls, all of them were unused at the moment i tried to do this. nope, it doesn't work.
i thought up an alternate temporary solution: rather than trying to transfer a call, an agent should make it a conference and then drop off it. shoulda work.

Do you have an EMMC (Expanded Meet-Me Conference) Server installed on you system?

We had the exact same problem that you are having. It started out with a the odd call not being able to be transfered and escalated to a point that over 50% of the calls could not be transfered. We were able to reproduce the problem so that Avaya could trace it but in doing so we caused the switch to crash. the two 8710s were doing constant interchanges and then we finally lost dial tone about 2 minutes before the whole system packed itself in. The only way we got the system back was by powering off both servers and then starting the system from scratch. Avaya said that we ran out of resources and the the EMMC was the cause of it. They had to write a special patch to stop that from happening.

Get ahold of Avaya ASAP. You are in great danger of losing your whole system.

Tolson,

yes, there is an emmc server there. thanks for the info, i'll get 'em in immediately.

Tolson,

could you please tell me the patch number and/or where to get it? local avaya support guys can't find it yet, and i think the situation is urgent. any information would be appreciated, really.

We had to goto Tier 4 where they wrote a private patch. The problem number that this was submitted to Avaya under is 12306303. The patch that they installed was 11038 which is a combination of 10830 and 10754.

If you want to reach me directly send an email to tolson.n.smith@aexp.com

Tolson,

many thanks for the info, i'll pass it to local avaya. these numbers should mean something to them...

Tolson,

finally, avaya gave us patch #11337 and said it includes the patch you've mentioned. three days after installing the patch, seems that problem is solved.
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back