Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phone Server Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

exmcier

Technical User
Mar 1, 2012
US
We just upgraded from 7.5 to 7.6. When selecting the "callers" button on IP Phones, a "server error, try later" message appears on IP Phone display. Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You probably didn't check Personal Directory in the Node Configuration.

Thanks KCFLHRC. Still looking. I know we don't use/support personal directory feataure. what we did do during the install is to make the signaling server that was previously primary now the secondary, and the previously secondary one now the primary, and reconfigure where before one sig server had NRS + TPS, the other just had TPS now after the install TPS runs only on one server and NRS on the other. I think I need to talk to vendor and see where previous caller info was/is stored to see if this reconfiguration has anything to do with it.

Personal Directory gives you the Callers List features. There is a check box you have to check in the Node configuration as well as assign that PD feature to one of your signal servers. If you are under 1000 IP users you can use the same SS as Element Manager. If you are over 1000 IP users then you have to put the PD feature on a different SS. The reconfiguration of the Primary Security Server and Member server would have nothing to do with it. The vendor just forgot to check the box and assign the PD feature to one of your SS.

Also running TPS only on one SS is not a real good idea. You lose that SS and you lost all your IP phones.

KCFLHRC- you were 100% spot on. Thanks. The PD service had to be started on Sig Server 2, and that did the trick.

I raised concerns earlier w/vendor regarding TPS only on one sig server also, but it turns out according to our vendor, our sig servers are so old and constrained by memory that 7.6 requires NRS to be separated. Luckily this is only a temporary situation because once we deploy Session Mgr. the NRS functionality will reside on it (so I am told) and at that time we will able to redeploy TPS on both sig servers again. Thanks again for all your help.

Kinda depends on what SS you have. I'm kinda surprised they upgraded it to 7.6 if the SS had a memory issue. Are they the old gray ISP1100 SS? Session Manager does SIP, and only SIP. If you are using H323 it will have to be converted to SIP. Also once you deploy System and Session Manager those old SS may not work at all or at the very least have to be redeployed since System Manager will become your Primary Security Server.

They are HP DL320s. We couldn't open them up because we couldn't take them out of service at the time but we assumed that these particular ones had 2 gig of RAM. HP Specs stated that they could go up to 8gb but vendor said 7.6 had an issue with expanding memory on them (assuming those memory slots were available). Original plan was to do sess mgr first, then upgrade to 7.6 so as not to lose SS redundancy. But as it turns out we had to deploy 7.6 1st because our 7.5 did not have any SIP licenses with it.

We do have H.323 over to a remote site that has a BCM50 that we plan to convert to SIP

Well good luck with it, sounds like you have a solid plan.

Here is a link to a NRS database conversion utility, it may be helpful for your conversion to System/Session Manager. We used it in class, it seemed to work fine. It basically converts your NRS database to something Session Manager understands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back