Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP-Phone Newbie has a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G3rtech

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
US
[ul]
[li]I need some advice / push in the right direction. At this time I use IP-Phones just on a static IP-Address basis and manually program the clan and medpro adresses. For the phones software I use the MV_IPTel_Mgr. This setup works great, never had a problem.[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Now I’m getting ready to deploy IP-Phones on a bigger scale. Big enough that I don’t want to do static address anymore. So, for the first big step I built a LINUX box and turned on DHCP, FTP,TFTP and SSH. I’m working on APACHE right this minute, not as easy as the other services. Now the IP-Phones pull their address from the DHCP server and the config files from my original desktop. Still works like a champ. Now, I want to get all of the other components for the phones on my new server.[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]In what directories do I put the firmware and the config files in? Will HTTP, FTP or TFTP take care of this?[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Can the WEB Configuration tool described in 16-300698 9600 Series IP Telephones Administrator Guide be apart of my LINUX box or does this need to be a Windows machine?[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]From the AVAYA documentation that I’ve been going over it sounds like these are the last pieces of the IP-Phone puzzle.[/li][/ul]
[ul][li][pc3][/li][/ul]
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Gary

If the ip phones are 96xx series, then they use HTTP, so put the settings file and the firmware updates here. It shouldn't matter if it's a linux server, it's still http and still just files being uploaded.

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

Thanks for the reply. I've got the Linux flavor of MV_IPTel installed on my box and I'm working on the 46xxsettings.txt file now. So far the only issue that I have is the MV_IPTel web page won't allow me to login, User mvuser Pass Avaya.

Log in the Linux box as root and change the password for mvuser. The Linux OS doesn't like the default Avaya password.

make the password 6 characters and 1 number

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

UGH! Fixed this prob. Helps to name the file 46xxsettings.txt and not 46xxsettings.txt.txt
HAAA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back