Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP phone intercom and overhead paging simultaneously with Cisco CM? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local5Tech

Programmer
Jul 30, 2014
US
I am working on a bid to install an overhead paging system in a newly renovated building. We use Bogen products and the site has a Cisco IP phone system. I'm not sure what exactly it is, I don't maintain or work on any. The client wants to have pages from phone be heard from both desk phone speakers(intercom) AND overhead paging horns simultaneously. Can this be done with Bogen equipment? I'm planning on using a TAMB to connect the Cisco FXO port to a PCM2000. Will Cisco allow pages to hit the intercom and page port at the same time? Please advise.....

While I never tried it, I guess you could technically do it with a line group. Not sure if it would actually work though.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

Cisco call manager does not natively do paging over the phones. You will need a third party application to get that functionality. IPcelerate ipsession, singlewire informacast, are a couple of them. There's more.
Most can tie into a legacy paging system and provide both overhead and phone paging. Most can also connect to overhead IP speakers.

What 4life is suggesting will not work as the call manager intercom feature is only a one to one relationship.

Are there any downsides to using the software applications? Delays, tones being heard, etc?

It sounds like, when using analog paging system with IP phones, that 3rd party software is the only way to go.

The third party is only needed if you require to page over the phones. For strictly overhead paging you can connect to an analog port on call manager, fxs or fxo.
Most of the third party apps work fine, just a matter of cost your specific needs.

I believe that as of CUCM Release 9.1 Cisco includes the basic version of the Singlewire InformaCast group paging product for free with the phone system purchase (separate DVD or can be downloaded), but the advanced features are required to handle analog external paging, and they have some cost associated with them. Might be worth checking what Release version of Cisco CUCM the telephone system has to see if InformaCast is already loaded and what the cost to enable advanced features is.

I have a new Hospital working on a VG350 and and a Valcom V-2926... Works like a Champ.
Highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!

voice-port 0/0/0
description Valcom Paging Port
!
voice-port 0/0/1
!
voice-port 2/0/0
timeouts ringing infinity
!
voice-port 2/0/1
timeouts ringing infinity
!