Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phone and Softphone will not connect to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashDome

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
US
This one has me stumped.

All I can say is that the configuration for all the phones and softphones (on a single network) on a BCM 200 (r4.0.2.03) is correct. The network is also fine.

I know this because at any one point all phones have been working properly.

It all started when two softphones would register but not connect to server. It would say "Connecting to server..." indefinately. After hours of work with no success, we rebooted the system (no changes) and voila... problem solved.

Then we later noticed that an IP phone in the back room which was hardly ever used would not come up. It did work before the reboot though. So... we rebooted the system again at a pre-determined schedule. That phone came back up, but now another phone is affected by this "Connecting to Server.." problem.

Registering/Deregistering does not solve it. Changing to a different DN does not solve it. It would seem once the phone is registered and cannot connect... it will never connect unless the system is rebooted.

Here is the typical procedure for an affected phone:
1)Phone boots up
2)Asks to be registered (if it is unregistered or deregistered)
3)Registers if needed
4)Logs into system (Element Manager shows IP address as “Online” in the [Telephony]>[IP Apps and Sets] area but DOES NOT show as an Active Set)
5)Phone/Softphone says “Connecting to server…” indefinitely

Note: This is not a network issue or configuration issue because every reboot will let an affected phone back in, but possibly knock one or two others off.

DN Keep Alive is checked for all phones.

There are no digital phones.. all are IP and there are plenty of licenses (15 out of 19 used)

Any ideas anyone?

I had an issue like that before but it was on a bcm 3.6.All of the sudden one or two ip phones would stop working randomly.The problem got fix by Nortel with one their Beta patches.Is your Bcm 4.0 patched to the latest?

Check patch levels, also make sure you do not have any IP conflicts.

No IP conflicts that I can see.

We are scheduled to apply the latest Smart Updates at the end of this week. We'll see if that solves the issue. I sure hope so!

The last reboot seems to have brought most of the phones online. They have people work all three shifts so I'll wait to hear if any phones are not functioning and apply the patches earlier if need be.

If all goes well, I'll come back to this post and send out thank yous.

Thanks for the help.

Are you over the license limit?

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

All these phones wouldn't happen to be plugged in the same network switch would they?

Could you possibly have a flaky network switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back