Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phone 2004 - echo and bad static

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcmtech

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2004
US
Has anyone had a problem with the VoIP phones having echoes and problems hearing people. It is happening on both BCM 400 - 3.5 and 3.6

We have intermittent issues with bcm 3.6 voice quality, with the primary complaint being "Darth Vader" effect. This is normally i2004 <--> i2004 on the same LAN with Baystack 460's fully VLAN'd, separating PC traffic from VOIP traffic. Does this match your symptoms?

There is a patch available that addresses echo on phase 2 IP sets, but I don't believe that phase 2 sets are supported on 3.5 - only 3.6 with a firmware patch.

Typically networks/LAN won't cause or induce echo, unless there is a high variance in jitter during the duration of the call. My experience has been that echo on IP sets is typically caused by "hot" trunks. In the case of T1/PRI, you can increase the CSU buildout to pad down the signal levels.

Does the echo happen from IP set to IP set, over IP trunks, PSTN trunks (analog or digital)?

The problem I am having is mostly on Calls from the PSTN. All internal calls sound fine. I have the patch loaded on the 3.6 and still experiencing the problem.

Are the PSTN trunks analog CO trunks or is it a T1/PRI?

Just FYI - I loaded all the avaiable patches for 3.6 and it cleared the problem. I guess my solution on the other 2 is to upgrade to 3.6 and load all the patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back