Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP-PBX Infrastructure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seun

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2003
NG

I'm trying to design an IP-PBX enterprise infrastructure (never used one before) between two locations A & B. The PBX would be installed at location A and connected via a leased line circuit to Location B where IP phones would be used off the PBX at location A. My question is, what kind of device would I require at Location B to connect the IP phones?

Seun,

you'd need at least a lan switch, either with l3 routing capability or without it, in this case you'd need a router too.
though i'd like to recommend you not to try design this infrastructure yourself but to contact some reliable vendor or avaya itself. ip telephony can be very tricky and if you don't have experience with it you may end up with badly performing or even not working network.

I have a customer that is doing that exact project right now. Loacation A has an Avaya G3csi Prologix that I am going to upgrade to Communication Manager 3.0 and install CLAN and MEDPRO boards to support IP hardphones. Instead of a leased line arrangement, this customer has two strands of singlemode fiber connecting to Location B. We are going to install an Avaya Cajun C364T PoE switch at Location B and use a GBIC to make the 1GB connection (via singelmode fiber) to a GBIC in the customer's Cisco switch. We are going to create a VLAN on the customer's network for voice, configure QoS, install a TFTP server for the IP Phones, and program the DHCP server for the phone VLAN. There will be a network assesment performed to get a benchmark on the customer's LAN and ensure it will handle the VoIP traffic. The IP phones will be plugged into the Cajun switch at Location B and register to the PBX in Location A.

A good Avaya Business Partner can work with you to design and quote a solution like this for your particular PBX and network capabilities.

Statements expressed in this post are my own opinions and should not be considered as the opinion of my employer.

Thanks guys. Recommendations taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back