Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP on a G3SI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foneman

MIS
Jul 12, 2001
US
IP has never been use on this switch before, yet I would like to use the terminal from my desk which is on another floor from my switch. Will IP do this? Do I need a special card to enable IP? And finally will Procomm work for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Foneman,
To do the adminstration on IP for Definity , you need to have a C-Lan card & should be on R9 as IP administration is available only on R9. You can use DSA to do the IP administration, even the Terranova might help you in this...

If the requirement is only within the same building & you are not looking at investing on C-Lan & R9, I would propose , you can run remote control option like PCAnywhere, Remotely possible etc. on the PC running procomm/terranova/DSA so that you can do the administration from your workstation only. this should not be much of an investment as compared to C-Lan/R9.. :cool:

I can advise more cheap, robust and secure solution: PC (486DX2-66 with 4Mb. RAM and 100Mb. HDD will be enough) under FreeBSD/Linux with SSH server near Definity. As a terminal application TeraTerm Pro will be optimal - it has SSH and VT220 support and completely freeware.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a building full of computers, what I need to know is how to access the Definity. I need cheap. Do I have to purchase the C-Lan card or is there a built in solution like a serial port on the Definity? I need help on the Definity side... can anyone suggest something? Sure would appreciate it!

Every Definity has a builtin DB25 serial port for administration called TERM. You can connect it just to COM port on the computer by usual modem cable. If you make this computer accessible from network via PCAnyware (in case of Windows) or SSH (in case of FreeBSD/Linux), you can access Definity.

To get the definity on LAN you must have to install a C-LAN card in the system. with this You can access definity from anywhere. The "TERM" port can be used with the COM port if you want this option as well, this would be the most in-expensive solution..
:)

Foneman, You also may consider installing a data module at your desk then all you have to do is dial one of the netcon extension in your pbx.

I agree the data module is not a bad solution as it has a level of security over the standard telnet session v9 upwards offers via clan cards. I also like and have used the method of putting a terminal server on the serial port of the definity. The problem comes if you have dual processors and they switch daily from one to another. In this case, you have two serial ports on the back that switch from working to idle along with the processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back