Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office VM server with multiple NICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

klubar

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2007
US
I recently switched our IP Office 500 Voice Mail pro server to a new computer. The new server (a very nice Dell PowerEdge) has 2 gigabit NICs. I want to assign the 2 NICs to different IP addresses and use one address for the VM server and the other for some miscellaneous applications that I’d like to run on the same machine (nothing heavy duty).

My problem is that when I connect both NICs the voice mail server stops working.

I’ve tried connecting the VM NIC as both the first or second NIC. It works as either connection (so it’s not a NIC hardware problem), but when a connect the other NIC it stops working.

The addresses I’m trying to assign to the NICs are on the same subnet, and both have the same gateway address.

This should be a supported application.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ken

When you have two NICs you don't put a gateway on both, or not typically.

Kyle Holladay
ACSS & APSS SME Communications
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

I've got loads of VM servers with 2 active NIC. Although, usually in 2 subnets (voice/data). Should be ok, but as long as you do as above and only set a gateway on one.

Why do you need 2 NIC?? VM uses a tiny percentage of a GB connection.

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried it this morning.

NIC 1:
IP: 192.168.10.34 (the address I use for the VM server)
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.10.1
DNS: 192.168.10.47

NIC 2:
IP: 192.168.10.33
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: blank
DNS: 192.168.10.47

When I connected NIC 2 to a switch (different network switch, although all on the same network) IP Office could no longer see the VM server. I was able to ping .33 and .34 from another machine.

Anyone think I need to restart the VM services with I connect the second NIC? Other suggestions?

To answer the "why 2 NICs" question. When our VM server died (it was a cheaply built whitebox supplied by our BP), I wanted to replace it with something a little better built and redundant. The least expensive, hardware RAID, redundant power supplies, ECC memory, 1U server Dell sells comes standard with 2 NICs. I certainly could have gotten away with a cheaper "server", but in the end it's easier to stick with a standard unit for all of our servers.

You dong have to use them just because they are there!!!!

Jamie Green

Jamie77...

True... but I'd like to solve the problem in case I ever do need to have both in the future.... And it's now just bothering me that I can't get it to work...because it should.

Uggh....

Thanks
Ken

You need to team those nic's instead of giving it an ip address in the same range.
The ipo will nto find it that way at all because it is a different ip address.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Two NICs in the way you have set it up isn't redundant it's just repetitive and really serves no practical purpose. You would need to setup teaming if you wanted redundancy. You will also want each NIC attached to a separate switch.

Kyle Holladay
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"I have one speed, I have one gear...GO!!!" - Charlie Sheen

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Kyle, now you are too slow :)

PS, i saw your commect on the 9621/41 and about those buttons in the screen.
You can do this by doing this:

Press Features -> Phone users -> Phone screen settings -> quick touch

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

The server is probablystruggling to know which to use ad they are both in the same subnet. Then the ipo will ignore stuff coming from the wrong card.

If you want 2 NIC's on the same network, you'll need to bond them properly. I can't see you getting thisto work.

Jamie Green

OH MY YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tlpeter I owe you!

Kyle Holladay
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"I have one speed, I have one gear...GO!!!" - Charlie Sheen

is the IPO looking for VM Pro via the broadcast address 255.255.255.255? if so, there is your failure.

ACSS - SME

Give the preferred NIC a higher metric value as the second NIC.
By default both NIC's have the metric value set as "automatic", give the preferred NIC a value of 1 and the second NIC a value higher then 1.

In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections.
Right-click a network interface, and then click Properties.
Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
On the General tab, click Advanced.
To specify a metric, on the IP Settings tab, click to clear the Automatic metric check box, and then enter the metric that you want in the Interface Metric field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back