Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office unusable until upgrade license is added!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinetintl

Vendor
Mar 15, 2010
US
We received an IPO 500 V2 with an essential R9 license all brand new, we proceeded to put the boards in with the SD card and turned on the PBX for the first time. System did not boot, kept solid red LEDs. Went into DTE and noticed that system was loading the image but was not un-compressing it and then it rebooted and started all overagain. Proceeded to format and re-do sd card on 9.1, system kept loading the image and then rebooting or starting all over again with solid red LEDs.
We then decided to re-do the SD card with 8.1, the system was able to boot and everything seemed to work OK, we then dropped the 9.0 licenses and proceeded to upgrade to 9.0 but after the system successfully upgrade we keep getting "Unusable until upgrade license is added". We tried everything resetting the IP Office, re-format the SD card and we cannot get it to work.
We called our distributor and they insist that it is a low level because a call or a page was made but we have not even gotten to the point were we can actually program anything and that has not happened. The only thing we tried was connecting a 1408 to the PBX while we were working with 8.1 plus isn't it supposed to have like a 90 or so day grace period?

In DTE we see the following:

ASBC. Second Watermark in Invalid
Valid Second Watermark
Software License Grace Period Day=200 Grace allowed=2
Software License Grace Version 6
Allow license handler to run early....
Attempting Config Load from FILE...
Control Unit type IP 500 V2 last version 9.0.4.0 build 965......

Distributor tech support is recommending an upgrade license or a new controller, I find this hard to believe, this is the first time we see this, any ideas?

RE
APSS, AIPS

licensed is what it's allowed to run, so in your case 8.1. Required licence is what's required to run what it's on now.....which in an upgrade window is pretty misleading. So you can run 8.1 but not R9 or 9.1 :)

amriddle01, I kind of figure that one out, I already fired up the replacement controller with the 9.0 SD card and it came right up, licenses are all there valid and happy and the licensing error went away. I am still wondering, can I upgrade to 9.1 even though the licenses are specific for 9.0?

RE
APSS, AIPS

You can always upgrade to the latest available release before the first call is made.

With the amount of time you have spent on it surely it would have been cheaper and faster to just get the upgrade licence. Essential edition license R9.0 or what ever version is not an upgrade licence. Only time I have ever seen this happen is when there has been a call made when the system was on the lower version. Dam dumb idea to get rid of the 90 day grace period.

I know, but the problem is that is not our system, we just got commissioned to install it and I actually told the sales guy that hired us to do the job that it was going to be cheaper and faster to simply get the $100.00 upgrade. I bet the FedEx Next day for the replacement controller was at least $60.00 to $70.00 plus the cost of the additional time we had to spend getting the new controller ready to go.

The guy spent half a day just trying to pin the licensing situation on us, I mean it was not our fault that we received an old PCS13 unit and had to start at 8.1 instead of 9.0 or higher and we are still scratching our heads trying to figure out how the stupid system got locked in on 8.1. In all honesty, we were not even aware that you could not load 9.0 directly on a system that was PCS14 or lower, man, we were not even aware that the 90 day grace period was out the door, but ever since this happened we started to look at the PCS of all of our own units. Most if not all of the units we sell are always the newest materials codes and we expect to receive the latest, maybe we have been lucky because so far we never had a problem like this before with out stuff, anyway now we are more careful than ever and as everybody here knows Avaya is always full of surprises, we hold our breath every time a new firmware is released because you never know what is coming and you never stop learning.

RE
APSS, AIPS

Just out of curiosity, if I have a 500 V2 locked at lets say 9.0 or 9.1 and I want it on 6.0 or 7.0, am I able to downgrade as long as I get the all the licensing squared away for the specific release or am I going to come across the dreaded unusable until upgrade license is added even though it is a downgrade?
In other words am I allowed to downgrade a locked box to any release supported or locked means locked both ways up and down?

RE
APSS, AIPS

A licence is for anything up to that point, they aren't release specific from that point of view :)

OK let me make this more interesting, if I sell an IPO 500 V2 with 10 9608 IP phones Voice Network,essential and endpoint licenses all on 9.1, install the system on 9.1 make a call and lock it on 9.1 then downgrade to 6.0 I should I expect the system to work on 6.0 without any problems?

RE
APSS, AIPS

I think you will come into trouble with hardware the R6 software doesn't know about like VCMV2 or Combo cards. You have to check the releases when the hardware you want to install was introduced. You have to check the same for licenses. If you have licenses that have not been known in R6 the will not work.

But to answer you question... Yes, you can lock the system to R9.1 and downgrade it to other releases then. So if you don't trust in R9.1 you can go back to 9.0 after the first call.

As I always do with new installs, then if the customer wants to upgrade on a later stadium they don't need to buy a upgrade license.
Now you may wonder "why not 9.1 to begin with?"
Customers used to use PMPro hardly want to say goodbye to it so we upgrade to R8.1 to have them the use of PMPro.
Some read on the Internet about the 9.1 features and call us and ask for those features then we get a discussion about PMPro, in the end some leave it as it is but some decide to upgrade anyway.

Yes I understand, I am actually working on a project to add a remote site to a multi-site running 5.0. Closes I can get is a mixture of new and old on a V2 with 6.0 or I may look for a used V1 with older boards but then my concern is if 5.0 will support 9508 or a 9608 set? Customer is holding back on the upgrade because it is a lot of $$, I am currently researching everything to put the proposal together. Difference is that in this case I am under control and I am researching and asking question and I know what I am doing and proposing.

RE
APSS, AIPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back