Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office setup with TCM8 cards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_A1SL

Technical User
Jan 13, 2017
GB
I'm setting up a refurbished Norstar IP Office v2 on Release 9.0.3.
The control unit is loaded with 2 x Combo cards in slots 1 & 2 and 2 x TCM8 cards in slots 3 & 4
I have IPO Manager installed and have been familiarising myself with this and working through the installation guide.
The problem is getting the TCM cards to see the BST phones connected.
I have tried connecting M7324N, M7100 and T7100 phones to ports 1-8 on both TCM cards, using the same 'BT 4503 Secondary' RJ45 to phone socket jumper cables as we use on our existing Norstar system over structured cabling, however the phones do not boot up. An audible pop is heard on the M phones at the point of plugging them in and on the T7100, the red lamp on the phone flashes fast & continuously.
I don't have currently have a digital phone to test on the Combo cards, however analogue ports 7 & 8 on the Combo cards function as expected (dial tone, timeout, voicemail, etc.)
I'm sure this is something really simple I've missed to get the BST phones to see the CU & vice versa.
Any thoughts would be most helpful - thanks!

Just thinking about this further - when connecting phones to the existing Norstar CCU via structured cabling, the audible pop I mentioned above is also heard, after which the phone boots up straight away. Whereas on the IPO, I'm just getting the pop and no boot up. I understood the TCM8 card replicated the Norstar CCU so far as the phones are concerned, but am wondering if this is indeed a power issue or if the pinout of the BT4503 RJ45 to phone socket jumper is incompatible with IPO...

Hi Tony
The Norstar Phone wont work directly plugged in to the TCM port.
This is because the Norstar phones terminations are different..they use pins 3,4 terminating on a UK socket (pins 1,2 on Patch Panel)
IPO phones use Pins 2,5 terminating on a UK socket.(Pins 4,5 on a Patch Panel)

you will need a cable to convert from pins 2,5 to pins 3,4 at the other end into the phone

So if the norstar is connected to the Structured cable panel the it probably terminates on a 24 port patch panel.
look at the back of the panel and you will see the wires for each TCM port on pins which will be on 1,2.
Pins 4,5 will be the blue/white, 1,2 will be the Orange/white

pins 4,5 for analogue
pins 1,2 for Digital EG Norstar phone.

ip office phones use pins 4,5 to connect.

if your ipo is now in the comms cab then you will have to make a patch lead to connect rj45 pins 4,5 to rj45 pins 1,2.
this will allow the TCM phones to connect to the card.

***basically get a patch lead and cut one end off and reterminate the Blue/white into pins 1,2. cut the other wires away**
plug the good end into the ipo TCM port and the new end you have just made into the floor outlet side.

plug in your adaptor into the floor box and hope the phone works.

OR make a new cable from the floor point to connect the rj45 to the norstar tcm phone rj11.
then you can use standard patch leads through out and you wont need the adaptor..

see how you get on.

Back in the day when I worked on Nortel it was possable to get what you are describing if the polarity was backwards. It sounds like you are getting power to the phone or it would light up at all. I haven't had to install a TCM card, so this is a guess.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

@snowman50, many thanks, you're a star! Just made up a new patch cable and it works [bigsmile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back