Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office PRI Setup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwhite432

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2012
US
I am setting up a PRI for new IP office system. I've setup PRI's on IP Office in the past with no issues. The only thing I had to do in the past was change all the channels to "in service". This is the first time I've had to set one up with Windstream being the provider. I changed the channels to in service and incoming calls work. If I try to make an outgoing call I get "number busy" on the phone. I talked to windstream thinking something was wrong on their end but they assured me all was right with them. They said they can see the digits I'm sending but its not in the right format (or something along those lines)? I've messed with a few of the different parameters on the PRI but any change I make makes things worse not better (waiting for line/even incoming calls don't work). Any insight on what should be changed to make this work with Windstream?

Thanks in advance

do a Monitor trace with all of the options on the ISDN tab selected, confirm what you are sending to Windstream, and ask them what they are expecting to see.

Perhaps you are not sending out your calling number, perhaps your calling number is incorrect, perhaps they want to see a 1 in front of the area code, perhaps they don't want to see a 1 in front of the area code.........

You might need to add an i to your shortcode or ICR to send the number in national format, but the provider should be able to tell you exactly what is wrong so you'll know what to adjust.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

I spoke with the provider and they weren't very helpful in troubleshooting. I'll do a monitor trace in the morning. Janni when you say add an "i" to my shortcode are you talking about my 9 shortcode (dialing out)? ICR as in Incoming Call Route? I don't think that is what you are referring too?

Depends where you're picking the CLI from, if you pick your CLI from ICR you can add an i to the end of Incoming Number.

If you use a shortcode you can use ? / Dial / .si1234567890

But they should be able to tell you what they expect to get the CLI, how many digits and in what format.

If you do a Monitor trace you should also see why they are rejecting it.

In my ARS table I have NsiTHEIRPHONENUMBER. It works everywhere else I've done it like that. It didn't work before I added that to the ARS table either. I don't think they would reject the call because of outgoing caller ID right? They just wouldn't show the caller ID I was trying to send. It's just weird because I've set this up the same way with several different providers with no issues.

They could reject it if the CLI is invalid, depends on their billing system.
But check monitor for the ISDN reason code.

If this was an outbound caller id problem, I think you would get a
"call incompatible" message rather than "number busy".

Are you having this problem with all phones or just one?

I currently only have one phone plugged in for testing. I will be there later today to do some more testing

some company CO switches require that the IP Office have the script below added to the No User / Source Number tab

NI2_CALLED_PARTY_TYPE=UNKNOWN

GB

Greybeard that seems to have done the trick. Can you explain why?

this only seems to affect some providers, with certain switch types. GTD5 switches are a known culprit, with various providers. No idea what Windstream uses, but obviously whatever they use or are doing, they also have this issue.

If you can't make an outgoing call, my go-to fix.

GB

General PRI Tip
If you look at the extension in System Status and click trace all before making a call, you will see a Cause Code in the trace.

Here's a list:

Even on a working system you should see Cause Code 16 at the end of a call (Normal Clearing.)
In general when working on a PRI this is the fastest and easiest way to put yourself (or the carrier) on the right track to identifying the problem.

Just to advise I have 4 sites with Windstream PRIs (which are actually SIP to PRI) and none have had this issue and all have been setup just as you would expect them to be.

| ACSS SME |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back