Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office OK now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gshaheen

Vendor
Apr 22, 2001
US
I installed a few of the IP Office systems when it was first released! Needless to say, it was not a good experience, and ended up un-installing them.

I originally come from the TDM world where we expect systems to just work wihtout playing around with patches (silly me)

Looking at the posts over the past few years, I see less complaints about the IP Office system than I used to.
Do any of you old TDM guys think the IP Office is anywhere near approaching the reliability of say the Magix or Partner?

The reason I ask is because I am considering giving another shot at the product.

Thanks!

how dare you call me old, lol

well I may not be as expierienced as others with the IP Office, but I prefer it over the other two small systems you mentioned. After 18 years with MaBell (ATT-Lucent-Avaya) I would rather install this then those others.

The customers are the key though, they all seem to like it even with a few issues along the way

It's pretty good now. I started with it here in the US almost 4 years ago and was shocked at the number of problems back then, but most of that is in the past. There are some things that need improvement - better diagnostics is one, organized documentation is another - but I'm reasonably happy with it.

UPAMs are the rule rather than the exception. Faxes and modems don't work very well through the system. The 5400 series telephones are great.

This forum is a big help.

I would recommend the IPO over Magix and Partner. The flexibility is great and the features are way above the two of them. I really like the fact that I can use 64xx phones with the system too. The upgrades keep bringing more enterprise type features to the SMB user, which is exactly what I like to see. Can't wait for SIP in v4 in early 2007.

crumthwacket,

why would you say UPAMS are the rule? I have hooked up several bogen amps to IP Office uwing Analog Ext ports and everything works beutiful once you get pas that initial reboot.

There ARE paging equipment manufacturers other than Bogen Superikey.............and the last several installations required a UPAM. Consider yourself lucky

I have been supporting this system for a while now and my best advice would be to stay away. Mind you, the platform is perfect for people that want to hack around and use the system in new "original" ways.

The main problem with this system is that it is (and has always been) horribly ridden with bugs. And it seems that Avaya can't find a way to develop the platform in a intelligent way, at every release there are a boatload of new bugs introduced (or reappearing). The "Experts" with this system are the people that are able to tell you what exact firware version (either 2.1.x or 3.0.x or 3.1.x) you need after considering what you want to do and the hardware that you have because it has the less bugs that will affect you.

I honestly have a hard time understanding how hundreds of problems can be resolved at every minor release for years now, either they constantly introduce bugs in the code (bad development), or they had the worst software on earth to begin with. The customers are the beta testers of the platform.

I also heard from very trustable sources that Avaya is going to start charging for the software very soon.

Just my 2c... you don't have to agree. Sorry for the rant

Kaphein is right, if you don,t no what your doing and if you don,t no what release to use then it can be really a pain in the ass.

Because some bugs can let the ip-office make a reboot or give lockups and thats the biggest problem.

But i do a lot of systems Definity,siemens,tadiran but they also have bugs and your right a definity will almost never reboot. (but that is why you pay a lot of money!!)

I do them for my work but i do the IP-Office for fun:)

Greets Peter

In the right hands, with the right people it's a great system.
In the wrong hands; a disaster spoiling the name...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back