Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office as a router 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam07

Technical User
Oct 7, 2022
CA
Hello everyone.. I am trying to setup my client's IP Office 500V2 as a router to forward packet coming to LAN1 to outside the system via LAN2.. The IP route is setup poroperly but still unable to perform routing.. Am I missing anything?

Not sure if NAT needs enabled on the LAN1 interface..

I think you are missing a router. The IP Office wasn't designed to be a router and if you are using it to connect to the internet on LAN2 that would be a very bad idea.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

LOL. fair enough . Thank you

When it was first introduced, the IP Office was quite a capable all-in-one network/internet beast for small businesses. But that was over 20 years ago and a lot has changed. These days it would be more honest to customers if they removed things like the Firewall from configuration or relocated them to a section called "Legacy: Use if you really want to but your ISPs router is probably much more capable and easier to configure".

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

@sizbut thank you for the information. Yes i do agree.

Btw, my client has an IPO500v2 but also need to register a couple of IP phones (connected at the same LAN1 subnet) to a remote server over MPLS via LAN2.
I was trying to send the traffic from phone-->pass LAN1 -->pass LAN2-->pass the connected MPLS--> remote IPO..

I think they were originally designed to use ISDN for internet access.

Not clear what you want to achieve, my needing was to route IP traffic from LAN1 to LAN2 where a IPBS is present with a different subnet: because I noticed IPO now has an internal automatic routing LAN1toLAN2 I did like as follows ad it works: LAN1 192.168.42.1, LAN2 192.168.43.1, IP Route settings 192.168.43.0/subnet 255.255.255.248/Gateway IP ADDR. 192.168.43.1/LAN2/Metric 0. NO NAT AT ALL.
Then I set UP an additional static ip route to my own router: 192.168.43.1/24/Default Gateway 192.168.42.1.
Hope it helps

@IamaSherpa, Very interesting. I will give a try one more time and see how it goes.
My main goal was to grab IP Phone licenses from a remote SCN location as we have limited local license seats..
Mainly:
My client has 5 IP office 500V2 in distributed locations interconnected via Avaya SCN..
• One of the locations has 22 Avaya IP end point licenses (Only 6 in use)
• Another location has 4 Avaya IP end point licenses (ALL in use)..

Not sure why the license is still local in such SCN deployment

I think yu don't need any routing, just create the "A, "B" (and so on) ip users in the "22 ip endpoint licenses site", then logs in the same users (Hot desking feature) from any other site, the device will register locally "grabbing" the remote license. The only problem could be the both the incoming and outgoing call routing which have to be managed properly, there is a special feture in IPO which allows Hot Desking users to use LOCAL ARS, if I remember correctly.

@iamashepra thank you for the information. I tried that too but realized that the Iphone always grabs a local ipendpoint license. It looks like the base station has to be licensed even with no users logged in..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back