Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office 500V2 IP Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesAnctil

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2014
US
Hello All,

First thank you in advance for any help that is provided.

We currently have an IP office 500v2 setup

currently all internal digital phones/softphones are working fine.

Id like to use the Wan port (lan port 2) and assign a public IP to it, so that I can distribute IP phones to remote users, and have them connect using that public address. Below is a diagram of my current setup.

I believe I just need assistance with the IP routing.

Thank You,

James

Hacking alert
use a VPN appliance and the VPN client in the phone. That is asking for trouble.
Mike

Do not do this, you will be hacked and it'll cost you a fortune, use VPNs or at least the remote worker solution (bit hit/miss though) but never put the system on a public IP :)

Did someone already told you NOT to put the IPO on the internet?

If so, they are right. and if not, someone should have told you...

:)

Our Avaya Partner suggested this, what about behind the Sonicwall? still a risk?

if I am going to do this behind the firewall, then im assuming its a matter of opening the proper ports?

Yes, but it works far more reliably to use VPN, either hardware or handset :)

I was jus treading about the VPN setup. We use 9600 series Avaya IP phones.

I found this guide

That much more enticing than, buying a VPN appliance for every user (not going to rely on Software VPN)

Im thinking about giving that a shot.

although I am curious what the ports to open are...I want to try both ways -.-

Search for "Remote H.323 Extensions" in Manager Help files, it's all in there :)

Allrighty then,

Thanks guys. I'm going to give the VPN config on the phones a go, and also attempt to port forward. will report back.

If you use a Sonicwall there is a white paper on it and works pretty good.
Mike

I do use a Sonicwall (nsa 2400) do you happen to know where said whitepaper is located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back