Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Less POP3d

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackreaf

ISP
Mar 3, 2003
US
I have only one ip that I can use for domains and I need to have more than one domain with email on a Redhat 9.0 box. I have heard that it is possible to do this but I can't seem to find anything info on this matter. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Stuart

You can configure sendmail to accept mail from multiple domains using local-host-names.
You will also need to set up your DNS so that those domains are pointed to the correct ip.

How do I setup my DNS to point to a domain name not an ip address.

Stuart

hi
for multiple doamains u have to mention it in the "sendmail.cw" file

firstdomain.com
seconddomain.com
thirddomain.com

bye
SANTOSH

So how do I get the dns to point tward diffrent domains with out having a IP for each one?

Each dns entry points to the same address.
Go and have a look at dyndns.org that should clear things up for you a bit.

Firstly you get several domain names either from the normal domain name sellers or someone like dyndns.
Then you point them at your IP address.
Then you set up your server so that it can deal with mail, web requests etc differently depending on what domain is being addressed in the request.

I suggest you at least start with the dyndns route to get a couple of domains (free) to practice with before spending too much money on domains that will be floating around not really doing anything until you've worked it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back