Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP impact on ipx network - test question -please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstateny

Vendor
Aug 11, 2001
US
hello - i am actually doing an open book test with some serious questions - this one is: you have a 10 base T network that is under a 60% utilization load and you add 12 IP devices- what effect if any will the ip devices have on the ip network - any thoughts?

What kind of a test question is that? They could have huge to 0 impact. What if they just sit and do nothing more than ping a site every 30 mins..., or what if they are downloading huge amounts of MP3s and Movies?

I think the question needs a little more info.

Just because they're IP doesnt mean they are going to place a load on a network.
logo-tektips.gif

my guess is it is some sort of trick question - i am not familiar with ipx at all - any other thoughts?

IPX and TCP/IP are separate protocols that do not interact, and the test question is probably designed to see if you understand that. They should have no effect on each other except, as inikis mentioned, one protocol is putting such a load on the network that it affects the other. There is also the possibility of tunneling, which allows you to encapsulate one protocol within another, but that is not implied by the question either.

Good luck!

Ralph

Your question doesn't mention IPX in it.

Adding more devices will increase the load. Assuming some systems are using IPX/SPX and some TCP/IP they still must share the bandwidth. An IPX packet cannot send while an IP packet is on the wire. Only 1 packet at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back