Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Helper Addresses/IPForwardpacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray221

MIS
Nov 24, 2003
US
Currently I have 14 vlans serving 900-1100 active clients and one dhcp server. I will be adding a second dhcp server and a second ip helper addresses in my cisco 6509 MSFC. What I want to know is how the router interprets these commands. Does it forward to both of the dhcp servers simultaneously? Is there a delay or can I create a delay in between the two forwards?

These servers will be DNS servers as well. Should I use the ip forward-protocal commands to block the unneeded ports including DNS? Does it rely matter if I block DNS packets? I have a separate WINS box, would it be impacted?
The servers have two NIC cards in them. My thoughts were to have one NIC service DHCP and one serving DNS. Although I would like the redundancy of both nics serving both services. Thoughts?

Sorry so long. This may be the wrong forum for some questions, but any help is much appreciated.
-Ray

There is a VERY small delay between the two forwards but basicaly its a first come first served thing. I would suggest that you alternate the two on the VLANs to give the two servers best chance but the least loaded will reply the quickest and assuming they are the same server spec then this itself will provide the best solution anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back