Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Hardphones over Wireless LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

davea2

Technical User
Mar 14, 2005
GB
Had the above set up a while ago at a customers site.
6 x 4602 over a 54Mb wireless LAN - easy line of sight, about 15m to other building.
The problem was that the phones kept dropping out - diplay kept going to something like "discovering router" or the like.
Eventually we replace all the 4602s with 2030s running on an IPO SOE, with VoIP trunks to the main site - works a treat.

Another Avaya dealer we have links with also tried a similar thing recently with the 4602s and got exactly the same problems - even over a higher speed WLAN.

Question is, has anyone else tried this before, and what results have they had. be interesting to find out.

UK Based IP Office Discussion

We are using a few 4602's over a 11Mb wireless LAN, seem to be about the same situation as you. We also have internet access over this line as well. If the phones say discovering router that usually means there's been a break in transmission or something to cause the wireless routers to need to be reset, after that they work fine again. Annoying as all get out though. I think it's more of a wireless problem than a phone problem.

peace
jon

what wireless ap's where you using? Do they support QoS? Do you have QoS enabled on the LAN?

We have been using Wireless Lan ( Cisco Aironet 250 series) for the last 2 years and at first had problems like you described. I believe our main problem was that there were 2 other Wireless setups on the same channel nearby. I would use netstumbler, and see what channels are close by. I wouldnt use any default settings.

Also we use 2 different pairs of routers. One of data and other for voice.

I have one 4602 set up at my home 2 miles from my work and location of my IP412. So far has been flawless, ditched the automatic codec setting though as it always picks a low grade codec. Forced it to G711 with superb quality.

Link is over 54mb Linksys access points with Stelladoradus hi-gain parabolic antennas (Fire Guard as my better half calls the one on my house....)

We are also in the same boat, we run a wireless WAN over about 13km, using higher powered 'Waverider' 2.4ghz gear. The radios are 11mbit, and we get about 6mbit of solid throughput out of them at the ethernet port(they are not 802.11 standard), which is good for an 11mbit radio.

Our problem is that the 4602 phones lock up every few hours, no error messages like "Discovering...".

The strange thing is, we also run 4620's (larger phones) over the same link, and they haven't missed a beat.

The 4602 seems to be alot more picky about dropped packets etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back