Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

itd17

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2002
US
I'm having multiple calls with people saying they are conflict with 192.168.0.1. When I do a ping -a it shows workstationA.mycompany.com, but I checked that machine and there is no instance of 192.168.0.1

Any thoughts?

Is it possible you have two DHCP servers, for example you just add another wireless router? This case study may help,

System has detected IP conflict
The system detected an address conflict for IP address 192.168.1.100 with the system having network hardware address 00:0C:41:9B:88:89. ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Well, the error message should provide the MAC address. You should be able to locate the machine that way (either by comparing the MAC to the DHCP tables, or by tracing down the make/model).

192.168.0.1 is usually the default gateway for a class C private network. It would be very, very uncommon for someone to be using that as their IP address (unless someone misconfigured a bunch of boxes).

It's all very strange.....I can see a client (workstation b) in DHCP with 192.168.0.1, but when I ping -a it, another workstation name appears. The client I see in DHCP is complaining about conflicts.

Sounds like your DHCP scope may be set up wrong. If 192.168.0.1 really is a gateway address, then it shouldn't be part of your DHCP pool.

I have also seen this with stale DNS records as well. Sometimes the forward and reverse lookups get mapped to the incorrect IP for a multiple number of reasons, but you should check there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back