Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ip configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajkam

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2001
US
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me troubleshoot and configure ip,on a solaris 8.0 (intel version).The nic is a 3com card which was detected by the configuration tool but during bootup i see the message"no interfaces up".the ifconfig -a command shows only the loopback interface.What are the steps I need to take ,in order to configure the nic properly and ensure connectivity?How can i also check the state of my network configuration?I need help immediately since my company is moving its os platform from nt to solaris.Thanks

While installing the OS did you selected the option of the system connected to the network,primary network interface(hme0/le0)etc ? If you selected no then it doesn't install the interface and if you issue the command ifconfig -a it show only the loopback interfcae.why don't you try boot with boot -r command.I'm not sure wether it'll work.When I had the similar problem,I reinstalled the OS.:)

Try these commands before you reinstall.
ifconfig hme0/le0 inet netmask broadcast
ifconfig hme0/le0 up
/etc/init.d/inetinit stop
/etc/init.d/inetinit start

ifconfig plumb elxl0
-- (assuming it's an etherlink express PCI card)
ifconfig elxl0 <ip-address or name from hosts> -netmask <netmask> up

or

ifconfig elxl0 auto-dhcp
if you have such a thing.

look for /dev/elx* to see if you have any devices.

to do this at start time, you need to create a /etc/hostname.exl0 with the hostname in it (mars for instance) from the hosts file with your correct ip address in it.

if you're running dhcp, then you won't have to worry about this naming stuff :)

Tried everything still errors.during installation i was using an allied telesyn card which i configured with an ip
during installation.The system seemed to not detect it so i installed a 3com card and voila ,i saw it on the configuration tool and i thought problem over.in /dev there is a file called elx.i tried using if config with that name and other combinations but it does not work.i created hostname.elx and put the ip in there but still the same problem.I guess i will just reinstall with the 3com.It should solve the problem and give me some time to get used to solaris networking.One more question.During installation when i specify dns address and domain,the installation hangs.Probably checks to see for an entry in the dns server for the local fully qualified domain name or something.I had to do the installation over again without dns configuration for the installation to proceed.Any advice?I need the server hooked up to the internet.How do i configure dns properly ,either during installation or after.
Thanks for the help guys.Appreciate it.

it should have had a number after it, or there should be one with a number after it, try using that one.

Jon

sorry Jon,
No number there.Just elx.No other device for ethernet there either.By the way what is boot-r.How do i use it?I dont mind trying something one last time before reinstallation.

it hasn't got it then ...

you're really really sure that there isn't anything else when you [tt]ls /dev/elx*[/tt] ?

you could try a [tt]modinfo | grep -i 3com[/tt] and see if any devices appear ...

if they do, they should also say the driver they are using ...

this might not be an elx driver ...

are you using an isa card btw? elx is ISA (so i''ve seen) and elxl seems to be PCI ... but could just be coincidence between beefy machine with beefy cards and p100 with isa :)

I reinstalled the os with the 3com card this time.There is a elx0 file in /dev now.With the ifconfig -a i can also see the loopback int and the eth int.During the install,I could not configure networking for some reason.i have configured the necessary files in /etc,and have put the server up on the network.Did not know how to configure Dns on the servers but Sun documentation was helpful to point me towards the nswitch.conf file.Everything thing is up now.Thanks for the help.Now i am working on a web server to be hosted on unix.Any advice?i need the web server to connect to the sun box.But i dont want to put it on the box itself ,for security reasons.Should i use a linux box to host the web server?Again,thanks for the help.

how about another sun box? :)

apart from the question 'why not on this sun box?' the automounting of directories, or mounting of read only directories from one sun box is _far_ easier to another sun box.

linux does it happily enough, but for sheer style and ease of use i like playing with automounted directories (which can be paths onto the same machine if you wanted).

if you're using solaris 8, they support the apache server for running on it, if the security reason is having the machine behind a firewall, then have you looked into squid (http-accelerator, and proxy server)

you can then run the http daemon on your sun, and have a low weight accelerator that everyone accesses :)

can you specify more? :)

application vendors want netscape.We are going with that installation on a sun box.Thanks for the help.Still having problems with ip.Please check my other posts if you can.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back