Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Client via Shared Win10Pro connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrogley

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2006
GB
Ok - first off, the default response will be upgrade/replace it - we really don't want/need to upgrade/replace the phone system as other than this "feature", it's all working fine.

What I'm trying to achieve - and I believe it to be configuration within the Win10 facilitator is to enable our IP5610 (non-vpn) to connect to our IPOffice 406v2
I've had it working on a site2site VPN before, but with the extra people now working from home, I'd like to get the laptops VPN connection shared to the ethernet port.
I can see that the phone gets the connection to the TFTP server just fine - but then the phone just sits there saying Discover [IPOffice IP address]

I have a couple of softphone licences - and they work over VPN, but obviously have their limitations too.

Any thoughts? Is it an issue with IP Routing?

Let me ask to clarify
you want to use the Windows PC/laptop to create a VPN and that works, then you want to use the phone to use THAT PC/laptop to connect to the phone system.

Theoretically I would say yes.
You have to manually assign the Windows PC/laptop as the gateway for the phone and make sure that the phone system has either a 0.0.0.0 route to the firewall you register to or a route to the network of the PC/laptop wherever it is.

I can see only 1 big issue and that is the VPN assigns a VPN address that the gateway knows and that is not reachable from the network the PC/laptop is located at so you have to tell the VPN gateway also that the network the phone is at will be accessible via the IP it has assigned to that VPN endpoint.

That is of course only working if the PC/laptop is doing the routing properly as well.

TBH I would venture a guess that it will not work or there would have been someone already having used it but please try it as it sounds interesting.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Remembering intrigrant 2019

yup - that's about it

Testing today has been made trickier by only having a guest wifi on a VLAN to connect to - I'll give it another go from my home connection tomorrow.

Interesting - having connected from home using a second laptop, I can't even ping the host laptop's gateway IP address (it seems to default to 192.168.137.1 on the host) let alone ping anywhere the otherside of the VPN. The second laptop gets a valid IP address from the host (192.168.137.x) and it sets the gateway with no issue - I wonder if MS have disabled the feature?

Morning - just working with 2 laptops now (it's easier to test things when you have a command prompt) there's definitely a routing issue - the office router cannot ping the laptop ethernet port (the one that's connected to it via VPN) - so the phone definitely won't work.
Looks like if I want this to work I'll have to sort a site2site VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back