Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Change on AVAYA CMS Box 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimonet

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2001
US
I am looking for information on how to change the ip address on an AVAYA CMS Box. It is running UNIXWare. I need the commands to change the ip address and re-link the Kernel. Can anyone help with this.

Thanks,
Justin

There are many ramifications with changing the IP address on a CMS box. Is this an older Sparc, or UltraSparc? What version of Solaris are you running? Keep in mind, that if you are using IP integration with the switch then the switch will need to be changed as well.

Regards,
Mike

The file that needs to be edited is '/etc/hosts'. Before you make any changes do both an adm & maintenance backup. As previously stated, if the PBX/CMS link are via C-LAN, you will have to change it on the node-name form in the PBX.

Kevin

I won't go into detail, as it would make for a long and boring read, but here are a few peripherals that you need to be aware of when performing an IP address change:

Audix
MAPD
Telephony servers (Avaya, MS, etc)
Geotel
Blue Pumpkin
TCS

These are just a few...There are other items, but these are the main ones that I run into. I have found it better (easier) in some cases, to install a router between the telephony network segment and the production network segment...The catch is if there is a conflicting subnet within your network though. Also, on many CentreVu boxes, there are two network adapters, so you may only need to change one, and leave the other unchanged. The thing to be careful with using two adapters on you CentreVu is that you don't want to end up with a routing loop. There is a command (I will have to look it up) that you can issue on the Sun box that will disable routing between interfaces...just FYI.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips guys. RF Watts - I will probably contact you via e-mail. The reason for changing the IP address is to put the phone equipment on its own VLAN.So we are very aware that we will have to change all of the components and put everything on the same subnet. We have the commands to change everything else. Really I was just looking for the actual command to change the IP on that particular box. Like I said I or one of my team will e-mail you for more detail. Thanks to both of you.

Regards,
Justin

The exact process of changing the IP on CentreVu is to vi the file etc/hosts. However, if your subnet and default gateway are changing, you must make a few other changes too. You may even need to add a route too. It seems like an easy task, and certainly isn't hard, but I've have seen numerous people change their IP address on CentreVu or the switch and really fowl things up because of all the related peripherals! If you are confident that you have a plain setup with out any CTI or RBT applications, then in theory, the only affect will be on CentreVu.

Good Luck

Don't forget about the /etc/defaultrouter file, as well, if the gateway address is changing.

Also /etc/netmasks if the subnet mask is changing. This one is even trickier to change.

Netcon1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back