Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Audit commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

mic3man

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
US
Hello to all,

I just purchased a 1720,ISDN BRI, ver 12.1, that I'm redeploying into one of my customers networks. I cleared the config and put in what was needed to get them up and running but when i did a sh run i still got an " ip audit po max-events 100" in my running config. I "think" I've tried everything to clear this but no such luck. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think you'll find that command is just a default one as part
of the IOS.

As long as you don't have IP Auditting enabled, (and aren't seeing an audit trail in your log, or on a term mon) you should
be fine just to leave it.

cool, thanks!!!! I guess I just needed to hear it from somebody else.

mic3man,

The statement you're seeing is indicative of a your 1720 w/IOS ver. 12.1 running an IOS Firewall Intrustion Detection System (IDS) platform. With IDS enabled, your router is basically telling the network that I am an IDS Sensor, I want to communicate to the IDS Director using the PostOffice protcol, and the size of my alarm queue is 100 alarms (default). Running IDS on a router is a thrifty (some say cheap) way of adding IDS protection without purcha$ing a Ci$co 4210 or 4230. If your are indeed an IDS Sensor and you have a CSPM, then there is nothing to worry about. However, if you are not a sensor "TURN THIS OFF." This can be done with the global command "no ip audit po max-events." A 1720 is not a very robust router. IDS on a router eats up memory (32k per alarm) and gobbles up CPU cycles inspecting each packet for various anomolies and intrusive signatures. IDS used in conjunction with access lists, normal routing, debugging, and various QoS perameters can very quickly bring a router to its knees. Hope this helps.

I did a global no ip audit po max-events, saved it, and it still showed up when doing a sh run. We tried everything we could think of to get it off of the running config but it would not die(i.e. cockroaches, Keith Richards). So back to my original question was if there was anything special or other suggestion of what was needed to be done to have that removed or disabled. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back